[comp.mail.misc] Need Help Using Bcc: with AIX Mail 5.2

sascmc@unx.sas.com (Christopher Mark Conn) (05/11/91)

I have a home-made mailing list (the Dead Runners Society,
drop me a line of you're interested) that I run like this:

I receive mail from members and then do an 'r' to reply.
Then I put my address on the To: line and put an alias for
my members on the Bcc: line. The reason I do this is so that
they won't get a list of 75 names every time they get a message.
It works pretty well, but I would like to find a way to put
the address of the person receiving the message on the To: line
without all of the other names. Any ideas? I don't have any kind of
root access so this has to be something that a normal guy can do.

Thanks,

--
Christopher Mark Conn | Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do,
sascmc@unx.sas.com    | to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere

In article <1991May10.195743.14467@unx.sas.com> sascmc@unx.sas.com (Christopher Mark Conn) writes:
>I have a home-made mailing list (the Dead Runners Society,
>drop me a line of you're interested) that I run like this:
>
>I receive mail from members and then do an 'r' to reply.
>Then I put my address on the To: line and put an alias for
>my members on the Bcc: line. The reason I do this is so that
>they won't get a list of 75 names every time they get a message.
>It works pretty well, but I would like to find a way to put
>the address of the person receiving the message on the To: line
>without all of the other names. Any ideas? I don't have any kind of
>root access so this has to be something that a normal guy can do.

 Yes.  It is real easy.  All you have to do is send out 75 different
replies, with a different 'To:' line on each.

 I know.  That wasn't what you had in mind.

 There really isn't much else you can do, though.

 You can automate this.  Assuming for the moment that you are using
/usr/ucb/Mail, you can have a functional argument: |/path/command
which is fed the mail as standard input.  Make this command a shell
script to create the 75 different messages.

 Then again, maybe what you are already doing is better.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940