[comp.mail.misc] mcimail.com: Where'd it go?

msirota@ee.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (05/10/91)

Over the last few days, mcimail.com seems to have disappeared; the
nameserver returns "Unknown host", and there is no MX record or anything.

Everything else seems to be working just fine with our nameserver, so I am
forced to assume the problem is not on our end, and mcimail.com has indeed
vaporized.

Does anyone know if this is true?  If so, is it stil possible to route mail
to those users?  Please respond by email.  Thanks.
--
Mark Sirota - Department of Electrical Engineering Systems Staff
University of Rochester, Rochester NY

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.215251.9225@ee.rochester.edu> Mark Sirota <msirota@ee.rochester.edu> writes:
>Does anyone know if this is true?  If so, is it stil possible to route mail
>to those users?

; <<>> DiG <<>> mcimail.com
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY , status: NOERROR, id: 6
;; flags: qr rd ra  Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 7, Addit: 9

;; QUESTIONS:
;;	mcimail.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
mcimail.com	IN	A	132.151.1.4	; 70870      <-- IP address

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
.	IN	NS	NS.NIC.DDN.MIL	; 494551
.	IN	NS	AOS.BRL.MIL	; 494551
.	IN	NS	A.ISI.EDU	; 494551
.	IN	NS	C.NYSER.NET	; 494551
.	IN	NS	TERP.UMD.EDU	; 494551
.	IN	NS	NS.NASA.GOV	; 494551
.	IN	NS	GUNTER-ADAM.AF.MIL	; 494551

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
NS.NIC.DDN.MIL	IN	A	192.67.67.53	; 500305
AOS.BRL.MIL	IN	A	192.5.25.82	; 515573
A.ISI.EDU	IN	A	128.9.0.107	; 432000
A.ISI.EDU	IN	A	26.3.0.103	; 432000
C.NYSER.NET	IN	A	192.33.4.12	; 500305
TERP.UMD.EDU	IN	A	128.8.10.90	; 500305
NS.NASA.GOV	IN	A	128.102.16.10	; 501162
NS.NASA.GOV	IN	A	192.52.195.10	; 501162
GUNTER-ADAM.AF.MIL	IN	A	26.1.0.13	; 494551

;; Sent 1 pkts, answer found in time: 0.1 sec
;; FROM: venera.isi.edu to SERVER: default
;; WHEN: Thu May  9 15:37:06 1991
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/10/91)

In <1991May9.215251.9225@ee.rochester.edu>, msirota@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>Over the last few days, mcimail.com seems to have disappeared; the
>nameserver returns "Unknown host", and there is no MX record or anything.

  Hmm, from what I can tell the NIC has lost its knowledge that
  nri.reston.va.us is the nameserver. (NRI still resolves it, if you
  ask it specifically)

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (05/10/91)

There are intermittent problems resolving name ``mcimail.com''.  There
are seven name servers for COM.  When I just queried each of them, two
listed ``mcimail.com'' with no problems, two gave authoritative NXDOMAIN
(ns.nic.ddn.mil aos.brl.mil) had a later serial number for the COM zone
than did the erroneous servers (c.nyser.net, ns.nasa.gov), so the
problem will correct itself in time.  However, it could be appropriate
for the managers of the erroneous servers to trigger a zone update if
they can.

		Thanks,
		Craig Everhart

ns.nic.ddn.mil: worked, soa(com) 910509
aos.brl.mil: worked, soa(com) 910509
a.isi.edu: timeout
c.nyser.net: failed, serial(com) 910506
terp.umd.edu: timeout
ns.nasa.gov: failed, serial(com) 910506
gunter-adam.af.mil: timeout

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (05/16/91)

Craig,

I've been a little remiss in keeping up with USENET this last two
weeks so this is a late response.....

As you know the DNS is pretty asynchronous, and convergence of
 servers takes time in general.....

This is also true at the root level, the few people left at the
NIC are working very hard, and considering the morale they
must have at SRI due to the transfer of the NIC to a newly
created company who was the low bidder, they are doing great,
but they make mistakes... mistakes in data exported to
the roots.

The roots (c.nyser.net is what we run) are slaves of the data
from the NIC, half of the roots are controlled by the NIC
directly, the other half are not (ns.nasa.gov, c.nyser.net)
aren't.  By agreement, we only load data from the NIC,
we don't patch on the fly.  This is all background so far...

Regardless of the control issue the root's have different data
from time to time (hence the different SOA's), eventually
they converge....

between data sets we've seen the following from time to time

Monday AM  - MYDOMAIN.com available in SOA N

Wednesday AM  - MYDOMAIN.com removed in SOA N+1

(people complain/scream/beg)

Friday AM - MYDOMAIN available in SOA N+2

Friday Afternoon - MYDOMAIN still not usable due to
	(a) roots not in sync
	(b) caching of NXDOMAIN in some number of hosts

Marty