[comp.mail.misc] Novell MHS to SMTP Gateway

lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) (05/10/91)

Hi,
	I am investigating a number of different options to send mail between
Unix hosts and a Novell system.  i am unfamiliar with Novell, but as I
understand things, Novell uses something called MHS to transport mail to the
various servers.  Are there any MHS to SMTP gateways that are available to run
on either the unix or the Novell server?  Secondly, are there any addressing
considerations that will cause us difficulty?  Actually, any horror stories
will be fine.  Oh, the application on Novell is called DaVinchi, if this means
anything.

Thanks
Larry Rogers
lrogers.dt.navy.mil

matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) (05/11/91)

In article <7672@oasys.dt.navy.mil> lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) writes:
>Hi,
>	I am investigating a number of different options to send mail between
>Unix hosts and a Novell system.  i am unfamiliar with Novell, but as I
>understand things, Novell uses something called MHS to transport mail to the
>various servers.  Are there any MHS to SMTP gateways that are available to run
>on either the unix or the Novell server?  Secondly, are there any addressing
>considerations that will cause us difficulty?  Actually, any horror stories
>will be fine.  Oh, the application on Novell is called DaVinchi, if this means
>anything.

We've found there are a couple of solutions if your Novell net and SMTP net
are in the same physical location.  You can buy a PC and put two network
cards in it; one connected to Netware, the other to TCP/SMTP.  There is
some software that will handle the MHS <-> SMTP protocol/file format
conversions from a couple of vendors. E-mail me for more info.

I've been looking for a solution that will handle remote nets; i.e. the
Novell net in one city, and the TCP/IP net in another city.  Does anyone
know of any solution to this problem?

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: uunet!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. Internet: matt@pic.COM

brian@enkil.UUCP (Brian Ampolsk) (05/12/91)

In article <7672@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) writes:
> Hi,
> 	I am investigating a number of different options to send mail between
> Unix hosts and a Novell system.  i am unfamiliar with Novell, but as I
> understand things, Novell uses something called MHS to transport mail to the
> various servers.  Are there any MHS to SMTP gateways that are available to run
> on either the unix or the Novell server?  Secondly, are there any addressing
> considerations that will cause us difficulty?  Actually, any horror stories
> will be fine.  Oh, the application on Novell is called DaVinchi, if this means
> anything.

I don't know about MHS to SMTP gateways, but there is an Interlan gateway
(Micom/Interlan) which runs a variation of tcp/ip.   Not only can you use that
connection for mail, but also for terminal emulation, etc.  The interlan board
is essentially a glorified ethernet card with some specifically tcp/ip code.
This comes with tcp/ip software which runs on a Novell server.  My recollection is that it must run as a server, and not as a bridge.

Brian
--
Brian D. Ampolsk - Wynnewood *nix Consultants - (215) 642-2250
				   1605 Brookhaven Rd.

fitzgerald3@llnl.gov (Kirk Fitzgerald) (05/18/91)

Rogers) writes:
>  Are there any MHS to SMTP gateways that are available to run
> on either the unix or the Novell server?

I am using a beta version of a product called S-Bridge from CMS (Computer
Mail Services).  S-Bridge runs on the MHS side.  If you deside to use this
prepare for a learning curve of MHS.

> Secondly, are there any addressing
> considerations that will cause us difficulty?

Not serious ones.  I am having trouble with replies returning from the BITNET
world but I think that is just a lack of an ip host not being registered....

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Have Fun!!!
Kirk Fitzgerald
fitzgerald3@llnl.gov