[comp.mail.misc] ftp - email gateways

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/16/91)

Princeton has closed the bitnet ftp<>email gateway which allowed
ftp access via email - mailing back the files uuencoded --

are there any other sites which provide this service?

larry

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.133047.5195@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry
Snyder) says:

>Princeton has closed the bitnet ftp<>email gateway which allowed
>ftp access via email - mailing back the files uuencoded --
>
>are there any other sites which provide this service?

The bitnet message interface to bitftp@pucc is still responding to
messages such as "help" and "how are you?" and giving the "usual"
results.

/Pete
--
Peter M. Weiss                     | pmw1 @ PSUADMIN  |  psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg - PennState Univ.  | not affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (05/17/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Princeton has closed the bitnet ftp<>email gateway which allowed
>ftp access via email - mailing back the files uuencoded --

ftp->email gateways are as big a travesty as email archive servers.
Until the servers can be educated about high-cost links and local
policies of the sites their sendings traverse, both should be severely
curtailed if not eliminated.  One site lost their MX connection from
UIUC because of archive server traffic.

/pbp
--
Paul Pomes, Computing Services Office
University of Illinois - Urbana

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (05/22/91)

In article <91136.102630PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu> PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) writes:

>The bitnet message interface to bitftp@pucc is still responding to
>messages such as "help" and "how are you?" and giving the "usual"
>results.

For all of the times I have sent a "help" message to bitftp, I have
got a big nothing in reply.  Don't know why!

* Chip Roberson, RD&E      -*-  Internet Domain:  <roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org> *
* Alcatel Network Systems  -*-  USENET Pathalias: <roberson%aurs01.UUCP>      *
* 2912 Wake Forest Road    -*-  USENET !-Style:   <...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson> *
* Raleigh, NC 27609        -*-  Work Phone:       +1 919 850-5011             *