[comp.mail.misc] Internet or uucp -> AT&T e-mail

sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) (05/23/91)

        I have the e-mail address of a friend who uses the AT&T e-mail
service and I wanted to know how I can send him e-mail.  I called AT&T
and they told me that it would be easier if my friend sent me e-mail
first, but that would take a while, because my friend is in another
country.

        So, does anyone know how to send e-mail to someone who uses
AT&T e-mail (I think that they call it Easy-link).

David Barr
Internet: sisley@milton.u.washington.edu
BITNET:   SISLEY@MAX

stenson@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com (Wayne M. Stenson) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May23.162838.9216@milton.u.washington.edu>, sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) writes:
>         I have the e-mail address of a friend who uses the AT&T e-mail
> service and I wanted to know how I can send him e-mail.  I called AT&T
> and they told me that it would be easier if my friend sent me e-mail
> first, but that would take a while, because my friend is in another
> country.
>
>         So, does anyone know how to send e-mail to someone who uses
> AT&T e-mail (I think that they call it Easy-link).
>
> David Barr
> Internet: sisley@milton.u.washington.edu
> BITNET:   SISLEY@MAX

Try sending to "userid@attmail.com".

Wayne

Scott@cup.portal.com (Scott Dixon Green) (05/29/91)

According to the book "!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressin
& Networks", you should be able to reach someone on AT&T Mail like this:

accountname@attmail.com

The book says this is "expected to be operational June 1990", so hopefully
it will work.

Good luck.
-Scott
Scott@cup.portal.com

kozowski@ohsu3b2.ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski) (05/29/91)

In article <42756@cup.portal.com> Scott@cup.portal.com (Scott Dixon Green) writes:
>According to the book "!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressin
>& Networks", you should be able to reach someone on AT&T Mail like this:
>
>accountname@attmail.com
>
>The book says this is "expected to be operational June 1990", so hopefully
>it will work.

It works.  I've done it before.

Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu
Networks & Computing Dept.
Oregon Health Sciences University
--

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/30/91)

kozowski@ohsu3b2.ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski) writes:

> In article <42756@cup.portal.com> Scott@cup.portal.com said something like:

> >According to the book "!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressin
> >& Networks", you should be able to reach someone on AT&T Mail like this:

> >accountname@attmail.com

> It works.  I've done it before.

I've found that att.com!attmail!user works better.  Don't have any idea
why, but the quoted method didn't work.

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42

hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L. Hansen) (05/31/91)

< From: halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims)
<> >accountname@attmail.com
<> It works.  I've done it before.
<
< I've found that att.com!attmail!user works better.  Don't have any idea
< why, but the quoted method didn't work.

I'm sincerely surprised that att.com!attmail!user worked at all for you
because att.com normally BOUNCES mail which comes into AT&T and then out
again. This includes the above address because attmail.com is NOT part of the
att.com domain.  If you have problems with using accountname@attmail.com, the
AT&T Customer Assistance Center can be called (US phone # 800-MAIL-672) and
they will track down the problem. That's part of their job. If there's a
problem with the Internet gateway, it can't be fixed unless someone knows
about it.

					Tony Hansen
			    hansen@pegasus.att.com, tony@attmail.com
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/31/91)

tony hansen, hansen@pegasus.att.com, says:
> I'm sincerely surprised that att.com!attmail!user worked at all for you
> because att.com normally BOUNCES mail which comes into AT&T and then out
> again. This includes the above address because attmail.com is NOT part of the
> att.com domain.

attmail.com may not be part of the att.com domain, but the MX records
for attmail.com point to att.com.  So there's no difference (in
theory) whether you send mail to
	att!attmail!user
or
	att.com!attmail!user
or
	user@attmail.com
it should all end up hitting some "att" machine of some kind first.

in practice, who knows.

--Ed

; <<>> DiG 2.0 <<>> mx attmail.com
;; ANSWERS:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY , status: NOERROR, id: 6
;; flags: qr aa rd ra ; Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 0, Addit: 1
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      attmail.com, type = MX, class = IN
;; ANSWERS:
attmail.com.    3600    MX      0 att.att.com.

dig     internet/noctools       venera.isi.edu:/pub/dig.2.0.tar.Z