[comp.mail.misc] Getting Started with The Basics...Mail Bouncing

derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) (06/06/91)

Problem: Mail bounces to sites from one machine but not another.

I am not the one that looks after mail, and know very little about how
it actually "works", but why would mail bounce from one machine and
not another? I realize this is a general and vague question, but where
do I start looking.

We are on ONET and mail DOES come in and DOES go out
to some addresses but not all. I realize that some bouncing is due to
machines down and/or bad addresses but not this much!  Is there files
kept on each machine of the address or routes to certain "key" sites. The reason
I ask this is because of groups like comp.mail.maps, comp.mail.headers(?).

Anyways, I any pointers/suggestions are welcome.
--
Daryl Erwin                                     Net Address: derwin@mach2.WLU.CA
Computing Services                              Surface Mail: P4-1, Main Campus

banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.153424.11237@mach2.wlu.ca> derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) writes:
>Problem: Mail bounces to sites from one machine but not another.
>
>I am not the one that looks after mail, and know very little about how
>it actually "works", but why would mail bounce from one machine and
>not another? I realize this is a general and vague question, but where
>do I start looking.

daryl, we have the same problem with mail from our silicon graphics
iris machines never making it to our NeXT machines.  neither i
(nor our "sysadmins", who are other guys like me) really know anything
about unix/irix administration, or mail/sendmail, except from the user
perspective.  if somebody can give me a pointer to the "big picture"
or an overview (maybe its time to read the sendmail manpage!)
i would appreciate it!

>We are on ONET and mail DOES come in and DOES go out
>to some addresses but not all. I realize that some bouncing is due to
>machines down and/or bad addresses but not this much!  Is there files
>kept on each machine of the address or routes to certain "key" sites. The reason

if you get some good tips, daryl, please post a follow-up.
thanks.

brad banko

Brad Banko,  Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute
Dept of Physics, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu, (217)-244-1851, 328-4932