[comp.mail.misc] Phone Book

penders@netcom.COM (Joe Penders) (06/10/91)

Is there a easy way to find Email addresses for company's and there employee's

Sorry if this is a FAQ but would'nt it be nice if there was a big internet

phone book on-line some where.

  Joe

Flames & Email to:  penders@netcom.com

In article <1991Jun9.224828.11954@netcom.COM> penders@netcom.COM (Joe Penders) writes:
>Is there a easy way to find Email addresses for company's and there employee's

Most companies don't allow their company telephone books to be distributed
outside the company, so why would they allow an email directory to be
distributed?
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

nauen@WRAIR-EMH1.ARMY.MIL ("1159-DIRECTOR/OVERSEAS OPS") (06/13/91)

cc: "penders" <penders@netcom.com>

In <1991Jun9.224828.11954@netcom.COM> penders@netcom.COM (Joe Penders) asks

> Is there a easy way to find Email addresses for company's and there employee's

There is a way to find some e-mail addresses for companies, if they have
registered a domain name with nic.ddn.mil.  It's called whois, and can be
used in a couple of different ways, depending on the requester's situation.

From a host on the Internet, some people can simply enter the command
WHOIS character_string, and available records will come back to them.
Exact procedures for using this function should be determined by reviewing
the TCP/IP User's Manual for your host.  Alternatively, you can telnet to
nic.ddn.mil and search for character strings interactively.  For example,

FALCON_$ telnet nic.ddn.mil
Trying... Open
Connected to SRI-NIC.ARPA.
Escape character is '^]'.
*  -- DDN Network Information Center --
*
*  For TAC news, type:                    TACNEWS <return>
*  For user and host information, type:   WHOIS <return>
*  For NIC information, type:             NIC <return>
*
*  For user assistance call (800) 235-3155 or (415) 859-3695
*  Report system problems to ACTION@NIC.DDN.MIL or call (415) 859-5921

@Whois netcom.
Netcom - Online Communication Services (NET-NETCOM) NETCOM       192.100.81.0
NETCOM - Online Communication Services (NETCOM) NETCOM.NETCOM.COM
                                                               192.100.81.100
Netcom - Online Communication Services (NETCOM-DOM)                NETCOM.COM
Netcom - Online Communication Services (NETCOMSV) NETCOMSV.NETCOM.COM
                                                               192.100.81.101

SRI-NIC WHOIS 3.5(1090)-1 on Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:16:37 PDT, load 11.58
  Enter a handle, name, mailbox, or other field, optionally preceded
  by a keyword, like "host sri-nic".  Type "?" for short, 2-page
  details, "HELP" for full documentation, or hit RETURN to exit.
---> Do ^E to show search progress, ^G to abort a search or output <---
Whois:

BITNET, UUCP, and other users who are not "on" the Internet can obtain the
same information, albeit more slowly, by sending mail

To:     service@nic.ddn.mil
Subj:   whois <character_string>

The facility finds only strings occurring at the beginning of one of the
record fields.  It would not have found any of the above records in response
to a search for either "online" or "communication".  Better results are
usually obtained by including a ".", e.g., whois netcom., to indicate a
partial string, so as to obtain such variations as "netcomA" or "netcom1".

A second query asking whois !netcom-dom will produce the full record,
including names and e-mail addresses of domain contacts

Whois: !netcom-dom
Netcom - Online Communication Services (NETCOM-DOM)
   P.O. Box 20774
   San Jose, CA 95160
   Domain Name: NETCOM.COM
   Administrative Contact:
      Rieger, Bob  (BR166)  BOBR@NETCOM.COM      (408) 984-7524
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Moffett, Gordon  (GM268)  GAM@NETCOM.COM      (408) 984-7524
   Record last updated on 16-May-91.
Would you like to see the known hosts under this secondary domain? no
Whois: exit
@logout
Killed Job 65, TTY 203, at 12-Jun-91 14:25:18
 Used 0:00:03 in 0:09:15

Connection closed to SRI-NIC.ARPA

These contacts are _not_ necessarily the people who answer inquiries about
employees' e-mail addresses.  However, a polite inquiry to postmaster@
the same host, giving as much information as available about the employee's
name, organizational location, phone number, etc., will usually be answered.
If not, then another polite inquiry to the Technical Contact, mentioning no
response from postmaster, should be acceptable.

Ric <nauen@wrair-emh1.army.mil>  <nauen%wrmain.decnet@detrick-emh1.army.mil>
           ^^^^^Walter Reed Army Institute of Research

xcaret@csn.org (Xcaret Research) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun9.224828.11954@netcom.COM> penders@netcom.COM (Joe Penders) writes:

>Is there a easy way to find Email addresses for company's and there employee's
>
>Sorry if this is a FAQ but would'nt it be nice if there was a big internet
>
>phone book on-line some where.
>

>  Joe

NetFind, from Xcaret Research, Inc., is a whitepages service for the
Internet.  Given a person's name and location or organization, NetFind
returns their Internet electronic mail (email) address.  NetFind
differs from other whitepages facilities by offering fast and up to
date service from your own machine.

NetFind runs from the UNIX command line.  To find John Smith at
Bigstate University, you just type:

        % netfind smith bigstate

NetFind returns the email address.  Its that simple.

NetFind operates on a Sun3 or Sun4 computer running SunOS 4.0 or
later with access to the Internet.  Uses only 4MB of disk space.
Since NetFind runs from the command line, you can use NetFind from
any remote terminal, Mac or PC that accesses a Sun.

NetFind uses a unique method to actively search the Internet for
your target.  It does not attempt to keep a database of users across
the Internet; that would be quite large and constantly out of date.
Instead, NetFind uses the natural database of the Internet itself: it
sends multiple parallel requests across the Internet  to machines
where it suspects the target may reside.  NetFind queries these
machines for the name you provide as well as for leads on other
machines nearby.  NetFind in turn searches these discovered
machines and so on down the hierarchy until the address is found or
there are no more machines to search.  The whole process is
surprisingly fast, because NetFind sends searches out in parallel.

NetFind uses a reference file for domains and a location index.  They
take up about 3MB.  The first file is a partial list of Internet
domains.  NetFind uses this list to prime its search.  The list is by
no means all of the computers it can search.  Rather, it will use the
information obtained from querying those machines to further its
search.

The second file is an index of location words.  When you say:

                % netfind smith bigstate

NetFind looks in this index for "bigstate".  Then it resolves the
information it sees with specific machines in the domain file and
begins its search.  So, the whole process goes from location word to
index to domain file and then in parallel searches throughout the
Internet.

The name can be either a last name or a username. The location
words are generally geographical or organizational (i.e., switzerland
or sun) and can be combined to narrow the search
(i.e., netfind smith bigstate university ).

NetFind is sold with a single user license for $159.  Please call for
educational discounts and site licensing.   You may order by phone, e-
mail or postal mail (include P.O. number, check or credit card).
Please specify your domain name, Sun3 or Sun4, and  the format
(electronic, floppy, 60MB, or 150MB tape).  We don't charge for
floppies, but
cartridge tapes are an additional $30 to cover cost.

Xcaret Research, Inc.
2060 Broadway, Suite 320
Boulder, CO  80302
(800) 736-1285