[comp.mail.misc] Hello Kenya?

pve@cs.utwente.nl (Peter van Eijk) (06/10/91)

Does anybody know if there are uucp and/or internet sites in Kenya?
What will be the Kenya toplevel domain?

I am asking this for a friend who works for an international development agency
there.

please e-mail; summaries on request.
Peter van Eijk

--
	Peter van Eijk University of Twente  Dept Informatica / TIOS
	P.O. Box 217; 7500 AE Enschede The Netherlands

nauen@WRAIR-EMH1.ARMY.MIL ("1159-DIRECTOR/OVERSEAS OPS") (06/13/91)

> Does anybody know if there are uucp and/or internet sites in Kenya?
> What will be the Kenya toplevel domain?

If or when a top-level domain is registered for Kenya, it'll more than likely
be KE, the ISO Country Code.  As of the last I knew, there were Internet
and other _users_ there, but no sites/nodes.  To a certain extent the
government has resisted improved connections with the rest of the world, but
that may be changing.  Thoughtless people may send you userids on such nets
as PeaceNet or CGNET with full instructions for use.  Should you receive any,
please remember that they often belong to organizations operating on shoestring
budgets and that their link to a host (in the UK or the US) will probably be
over commercial telephone lines at considerable expense, costing them dearly
for each character received.  They may well be less than delighted to receive
unsolicited mail which is not directly related to their missions.

Ric <nauen@wrair-emh1.army.mil>  <nauen%wrmain.decnet@detrick-emh1.army.mil>
           ^^^^^Walter Reed Army Institute of Research

jefu@twics.co.jp (Jeffrey Shapard) (06/15/91)

According to the bible (John S Quarterman's _The Matrix_), "the
Insitute for Global Communications (IGC), parent of Peacenet,
is setting up a system in Nairobi, Kenya". These folks now
have sites in the US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Nicaraugua, Ecuador,
Brazil, Oz, and the USSR under the coalition name Association
for Progressive Communications. They use uucp connections
to give global access to local areas, and even bear the freight
for some of their more budget-strapped members. While some
of the regional sites may have links into whatever internets
they have going there, their main IGC/Peacenet/ECONET machine
in Menlo Park CA USA does uucp links to various US hubs, has
a network subscription through the DASnet forwarding service
(which can get you to telex and fax as well), and recently
got a direct Internet connection.

I haven't heard anything more about the Kenya site, but I
guess is may have something to do with the folks in Nairobi
getting their side of things ready.

Another possibility...

Once upon a time the notorious cowboy netrider Colorado Dave
Hughes talked about an associate of his who was putting
up some sort of packet radio BBS network in the Kenyan bush.
I wonder whatever became of that?

--jefu

* Jeffrey Shapard <jefu@twics.co.jp>                       "Connectivity   *
* Connect-activist and Operations Director, TWICS, Tokyo    is our biz..." *