[comp.mail.misc] Hiding system name in outgoing mail

jpm@logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens) (06/17/91)

Hello,
	I have  a host through wich mail passes, (going out by UUCP)
	and I would like to hide the name of the 'sub' machine from
	which the mail actually originated, in such a way, that the
	recipient will be able to Reply to a message, with that reply
	going to the "gateway" host.

	My host is an SCO UNIX 3.2.2 with MMDF.

	+--------+    +----------+
	| sub    | => | HOST     |  ------>  all mailing going out here, should
	+--------+    +----------+	     look like it came from HOST

	BTW, is there  *GOOD* and *COMPREHENSIVE* documentation on MMDF ?

	Thank you very much,

Regards,
	-JP
--
Jan-Piet Mens, Logix GmbH				    jpm@logixwi.UUCP
Moritzstr. 50, D-6200 Wiesbaden            ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!logixwi!jpm

chrisdu@sco.COM (Chris Durham) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.143756.25373@logixwi.uucp> jpm@logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens) writes:
>Hello,
>	I have  a host through wich mail passes, (going out by UUCP)
>	and I would like to hide the name of the 'sub' machine from

If your domain is foo.COM, and the hosts are "host" and "subhost", where
"host" is the UUCP gateway, then, in your mmdftailor file:

MLDOMAIN COM
MLNAME foo
MLOCMACHINE host

or

MLOCMACHINE subhost

depending on the machine. If you are following this scheme for your domain
all usernames within the domain should be unique, (chris@host is the same
person as chris@subhost), and alias files combined with the badusers channel
should be maintained to determine the "home" machine where each user
reads his/her mail.

>	BTW, is there  *GOOD* and *COMPREHENSIVE* documentation on MMDF ?

I am sending you, under separate cover, the doc I wrote for the Support
department at SCO on MMDF.  This has been posted several times to these
newsgroups, so I won't bother posting it, as it is large.  This extra
doc is available from the SCO support department.

In Open Desktop 1.2 and 3.2 version III, we plan to include a mkdev
shellscript to help you configure MMDF.

>	Thank you very much,

You are welcome.

--
Chris Durham					chrisdu@sco.COM
Technical Support				...!{uunet,ucscc}!sco!chrisdu

"'cause you either live life, bruises, skinned knees and all, or you
turn your back on it and start dying."

			-Captain Christopher Pike, _Star Trek_ "The Cage"