[comp.mail.misc] Mailing lists... How does one organize thee?

willson@seas.gwu.edu (Stephen R. Willson) (04/03/91)

	I am currently attempting to organize a mailing list for a national
student organization.  I would like to have a utility that will do this
automatically.  For example someone send me a message with the subject
'INCLUDE ME' and the program adds the persons name to the list or sends them
some type of questionaire in response.  I am hoping that someone out their
might know where I can acquire such a utility.  I appreciate any help.

P.S. I apologize for the first message in comp.mail.elm, call it a novice
mistake, but rn wouldn't let me cancel it.

cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) (04/04/91)

willson@seas.gwu.edu (Stephen R. Willson) writes:

>	I am currently attempting to organize a mailing list for a national
>student organization.  I would like to have a utility that will do this
>automatically.  For example someone send me a message with the subject
>'INCLUDE ME' and the program adds the persons name to the list or sends them
>some type of questionaire in response.  I am hoping that someone out their
>might know where I can acquire such a utility.  I appreciate any help.

I am the moderator of two mailing lists and I use a homegrown software package
called "lm", written in Perl.

Lm processes a mail message (or unix mailbox), looking for valid commands.
Basic commands are subscribe, unsubscribe, who, dir, get, ping, help, scan, and
extract.  That's right, lm also acts a a poor man's mailserver.

The actual software is stable, though not complete.  If you are interested, and
you have perl, feel free to contact me.

--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com
  Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.dallas.haus.com

graff@.dpw.com (Sheila Graff) (06/19/91)

	  Hi there net-work - would some one do me a favor and
send me some mail - i need to find my user-name for the net-work
so i can send my sister in buffalo some e-mail.

	  Thanks ..........