[comp.mail.misc] POP2/3-based receiver for PC?

hillman@newsserver.sfu.ca (Steve Hillman) (06/14/91)

Does anyone know if any public domain program/code exists to handle
communication between a POP2 or POP3 server and PC? I need something which
can be run on a PC and will use a pre-installed FTP-standard packet driver
to connect to a specified host, receive new mail, and place it in a specified
directory?

Is this too tall an order to fill? Must I write all the code (including TCP/IP
routines) myself?

--
Steve "Skillman" Hillman                "Everyone generalizes"
hillman@whistler.sfu.ca

yeh@netix.com (Shannon Yeh) (06/19/91)

 > Does anyone know if any public domain program/code exists to handle
 > communication between a POP2 or POP3 server and PC? I need something which
 > can be run on a PC and will use a pre-installed FTP-standard packet driver
 > to connect to a specified host, receive new mail, and place it in a
 > specified directory?
 >
 > Is this too tall an order to fill? Must I write all the code (including
 > TCP/IP routines) myself?

I have a message handling system interacting with POP3.  That is a program
(actually a group of server client/programs) in the POP3, PCMAIL, IMAP3
family, and is SMTP/822 compatible.  Its user interface is similar to
Unix MH.

More information is available via anonymous ftp to "netix.com" under the
directory of /pub/PC-MH-info.

Note:  It is not FREEWARE.  But, this posting is not for advertising
       purpose, just an FYI.

Shannon Yeh
Netix Communications
Irvine, California