[comp.mail.misc] Question about smail3.1.21 and domain - help!

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (06/18/91)

   We just officialy received word from the NIC that we are entered
into the ".com" domain, thereby giving our site the "coplex.com"
name.

   We are running smail3.1.21, with a pretty standard setup, linking
daily to uunet via uucp.  Here, however, is my question:

   Below is an example header that I sent to "uunet!coplex.com!dean"
(basically, I sent it to myself).

1)  Why do the "From " and "Return-Path:" lines state a path
    of "uunet!coplex!dean", instead of "uunet!coplex.com!dean"?

2)  Why does uunet state that it received the mail from
    "coplex.UUCP", when none of the headers say anything about
    us being in the uucp zone?

   Thats is really.  By the way, we are running ELM2.3.11 as our
X-Mailer.  HOSTNAMES in EDITME (in smail) is set to a value
of "coplex.com:coplex.uucp".  The "DOMAINS" variable is not set,
as I dont want it to translate our address "coplex.coplex.com".

   Here is the message:

From uunet!coplex!dean Mon Jun 17 23:33:45 1991
From: uunet!coplex.com!dean (Dean Brooks)
Subject: TEST
To: coplex.com!dean
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 23:30:18 EDT

--
dean@coplex.com (Dean Brooks)
Copper Electronics, Inc.

In article <1991Jun18.040344.27747@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>   We are running smail3.1.21, with a pretty standard setup, linking
>daily to uunet via uucp.  Here, however, is my question:

>1)  Why do the "From " and "Return-Path:" lines state a path
>    of "uunet!coplex!dean", instead of "uunet!coplex.com!dean"?

Those are uucp-style headers and using the uucp name is reasonable
there.  The Return-Path header is option and is added by your
smail as it stores local mail - it's just a copy of the path in
the From_ line.
The header you should be concerned with is the From: line since it
is the one that will be used for replies from non-uucp sites.

>   Thats is really.  By the way, we are running ELM2.3.11 as our
>X-Mailer.  HOSTNAMES in EDITME (in smail) is set to a value
>of "coplex.com:coplex.uucp".  The "DOMAINS" variable is not set,
>as I dont want it to translate our address "coplex.coplex.com".

I have a similar setup with several machines using alias files
to find the real address when given user@domain from any of them.
I set up ELM to leave off the From: line and set Smail's
"visible_name" to fb.com.  All remote mail will have the
From: user@fb.com (Full Name)
line added.  I also have "visible_domains" set to fb.com:uucp so
all the machines accept user@fb.com, user@machine.fb.com, or
user@machine.uucp (or the ! equivalents) as local mail and deliver
according to the alias and forward files.

>From: uunet!coplex.com!dean (Dean Brooks)

If this said dean@coplex.com on the way out, it should still
say that.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

robert@dg.se (Robert Claeson) (06/19/91)

Brooks) writes:

|>    Below is an example header that I sent to "uunet!coplex.com!dean"
|> (basically, I sent it to myself).
|>
|> 1)  Why do the "From " and "Return-Path:" lines state a path
|>     of "uunet!coplex!dean", instead of "uunet!coplex.com!dean"?

You should probably try setting the VISIBLE_NAME parameter to coplex.com.

--
Robert Claeson

Just because I am writing this doesn't mean that my employer agrees
with me.