[comp.mail.misc] LANtastic / Right Hand Man II / MHS

linkr@groupw.cns.vt.edu (Roger Link) (06/18/91)

We are looking at mail packages for use with our LANtastic
network. We are currently looking at Right Hand Man II (the demo
copy runs for a month, and supports 25 users. It looks like a
nice system, with features beyoud email)

Any comments on Right Hand Man??

We are very interested in MHS support with LANtastic and
connections to VAX VMS / Unix/Ultrix etc.

Has anyone had any success with outside mail connections with
LANtastic???  (MHS, SMTP, etc.)

Does anyone have documentation on MHS??

Roger Link                        BITNET : LINKR @ VTVM1
VA. Tech Physics                INTERNET : LINKR@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Blacksburg VA.

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (06/19/91)

linkr@groupw.cns.vt.edu (Roger Link) writes:

>We are looking at mail packages for use with our LANtastic
>network. We are currently looking at Right Hand Man II (the demo
>copy runs for a month, and supports 25 users. It looks like a
>nice system, with features beyoud email)

>Has anyone had any success with outside mail connections with
>LANtastic???  (MHS, SMTP, etc.)

(I attempted to post this earlier, but I don't think it got out.)

I've been able to connect UUPC (the PC clone of UUCP, available via ftp
from several sources), so that messages arriving from outside are forwarded
to the appropriate mailbox in LANtastic, or printed if the adressee is not
on the list.  Its written in awk and isn't very sophisticated, but it does
what I needed.  I've seen some references on the LANtastic BBS that imply that
there are some better (bi-directional) programs out there, some may be
shareware.
Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)

skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (06/22/91)

In article <1915@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, linkr@groupw.cns.vt.edu (Roger Link) wrote:
>We are looking at mail packages for use with our LANtastic
>network.

Microsoft Mail for PC (used to be Consumers Software's
Network Courier before Microsoft aquired it) only requires a
shared file-system to run, so it should work on a Lantastic
network, as long as all the stations have access to a
common file server which houses the mailboxes.

Microsoft also sells gateways which interface external
mail systems to this product, some of the protocols
supported by these gateways are SMTP and X.400.

...Sam
--
<skl@wimsey.bc.ca>