[comp.mail.misc] FidoNet-->Internet: ...

sikorski@rcf.rsmas.miami.edu (06/17/91)

[Please note.  Due to errors I made in this post, I'm cancelling and
reposting it.  Notably, Dont force a gateway to accept e-mail *into*
FidoNet from Internet... This may burden them with un-asked-for phone
bills.  My apologies.  R.Sikorski]

In article <1991Jun12.233937.11664@rcf.rsmas.miami.edu>, I wrote:

> I've been trying to mail into FidoNet, apparently without success.
> [...]
> what's the outgoing (FidoNet --> Internet) address

My FidoNet<==>Internet mail is working one way, and probably just delayed
for the round trip, so here's the summary of the simple 'smart' paths to
use.  Mike Riddle also gave info on bang (!) paths, which I'm not repeating
here, but I have it if you want it.  Thanks for the great tips everyone:
[I hope I didnt miss anyone].
  John Cowan   <cbmvax!snark.thyrsus.com!cowan@uunet.UU.NET>
  David Dodell <asuvax!stjhmc.fidonet.org!ddodell@ncar.UCAR.EDU> (1:114/15)
  James Goltz  <frost@helixw3.nih.gov>
  Matthew Lyle <matt@convex.mitek.com>
  Ric          <nauen@wrair-emh1.army.mil>
  Mike Riddle  <riddle@hoss.unl.edu>                             (1:285/27)
  Roger Scott  <u906400@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au>                    (3:670/206.15)

A) FidoNet-->Internet
  No Suspense: It WORKS! I got mail from my fido-address to my Internet
  address in less than a day.  (I didnt check exact time...)  I'll give the
  short addressing scheme from Mike Riddle, and it was pretty much as
  suggested by everyone above.

>     Matrix: 114/15 (e.g. FidoNet Net/Node of nearest UUCP gateway)
>     TO: UUCP
>     Subject:  Whatever
>     1st Line of text: To: username@uucpaddress
>     2nd Line of text: (blank or one space)
>     3rd Line of text: Start your message
>
>     Where 114/15 is the router in Phoenix, operated by David Dodell at
      hostmaster@stjhmc.fidonet.org

  Mike also gave a much more detailed explanation (not repeated here), from
  an amazing document, and David Dodell has given me some more-recent
  /corrected info [see below].

>            How to use the UUCP <===> Fido-Net<tm> Gateway
>                     Version 2.3 as of 09 DEC 88
>                       by Lee Damon of 105/302
>                            and Dale Weber
>                   Assisted by Lisa Gronke on 105/6

  Ric (nauen@...) suggested some possible gateways near my FidoNet address,
  including the one I ultimately used.  James Goltz pointed out that
  uunet.uu.net has the UUCP mailmaps in /uumap, which I then realized
  (s-l-o-w-l-y, I know) is the same as the lists in comp.mail.maps
  (a few newsgroups up from here...).  The point being that the
  UUCP<==>FidoNet gateways are in the .fidonet.org domain, so I searched
  the current lists local to my Fido-address (Ric mentioned that his list
  was a little old) and found one with the same area code, which I used for
  my mail *from* FidoNet to Internet.

B) Internet-->FidoNet
  Everyone agreed that the simple way to a user at FidoNet address 1:2/3.4
  is  firstname.lastname@p4.f3.n2.z1.fidonet.org (through the local default
  gateway).  (The 'point' number, my .4 in my example, may not be part of
  every address).  I guess 1 to 3 days transit is common, although 10 days
  can happen...  My mail into FidoNet has not yet arrived there (at least 7
  days now).

  I contacted David Dodell, administrator of the fidonet.org domain, (which
  to a better informed user would have been an early step).  (Someone ought
  to put a ;-) there, but I'm barely entitled, since I screwed up instead.)
  He noted that my attempt to choose a specific node for email that is
  *inbound* to FidoNet from Internet is *NOT* the way to go: it may impose
  connect costs on that gateway. [My apologies are in the mail]. So now the
  professionals are on the trail of my missing mail...  Thanks David.

  Thanks all.  I'm sure my mail will get *into* Fido soon.
  Out from Fido works great.

Richard <sikorski@rsmas.miami.edu> (1:108/55) <-- my Fido may soon be
                                              john.sikorski (my bro)

sikorski@rcf.rsmas.miami.edu (06/17/91)

In reference to my article <1991Jun16.191405.11673@rcf.rsmas.miami.edu>:

If you dont get my corrected summary, I want to point out an error.

Trying to choose a specific gateway *into* FidoNet from Internet
may incur un-asked-for costs on the gateway.  Sorry for the mis-info.

Richard <sikorski@rsmas.miami.edu> (1:108/55)

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (06/23/91)

 > My FidoNet<==>Internet mail is working one way, and probably just delayed
 > for the round trip, so here's the summary of the simple 'smart' paths to
 > use.  Mike Riddle also gave info on bang (!) paths, which I'm not
 > repeating
 > here, but I have it if you want it.  Thanks for the great tips everyone:
 > [I hope I didnt miss anyone].

Rick Ellis ics.uci.edu!ucivax!p4tustin!ofa123.fidonet.org!...

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

sikorski@rcf.rsmas.miami.edu (06/24/91)

In article <3483.28640213@ofa123.fidonet.org>, rick@ofa123.fidonet.org
(Rick Ellis) writes:
>  > [I hope I didnt miss anyone].
>
> Rick Ellis ics.uci.edu!ucivax!p4tustin!ofa123.fidonet.org!...

Sorry I missed you on the credit list, Rick.  On the vax where I was
pasting my post together, back-ups are less than frequent. I had
this vague feeling that by the time I got to the credits, I was one
post short...

Richard