[comp.mail.misc] looking for mail file server

harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) (06/22/91)

I am looking for different mail servers, where someone can send mail
in the form "send file", and that file is then mailed back to the
user.

I currently have netlib, but am wondering if there is anything else
availible.  I would like to use this to manage file updating between
two different sites, with messages like

"edit foo/Makefile"  #source is checked out from sccs and mailed, and
"delta foo/Makefile" #updates file with the text of the mail message
		     #sans headers, or else puts it in a queue for
		     #an administrator to approve and update.

Any pointers appreciated.  If you post, would you mind mailing
me a copy for good luck?  I'm drowning in news and would hate
to miss a suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
--
Mark Harrison           | Note: harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com and
harrison@csl.dl.nec.com | necssd!harrison are not operating at
                        | above address.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

renkel@motcid.UUCP (Will Renkel) (06/24/91)

Using mailx one can pipe the mail message to another program and then
the whole world opens up.

 Will Renkel - Motorola - Cellular
 1501 W. Shure Drive - Room N258, Arlington Heights, IL 60004
 (708) 632-4416 - ...uunet!mcdchg!motcid!renkel - renkel@void.rtsg.mot.com

shaver@convex.com (Dave Shaver) (06/24/91)

harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) writes:
>I am looking for different mail servers, where someone can send mail
>in the form "send file", and that file is then mailed back to the
>user.

>I currently have netlib, but am wondering if there is anything else
>availible.  [...]

I wrote such a server in Perl---many people are either using it or the
original upon which I based my server.  Thanks once again to jv@mh.nl
(Johan Vromans) for sharing his Multihouse server.

I'm willing to mail either uuencoded or btoa'ed compressed tar files of
the server code if you can't FTP.  If you can FTP, the server code is
on elroy.cs.iastate.edu (129.186.3.15) in /pub/servers/csdserv.TZ.  Let
me know if you try it or if you need help.

Here's my original summary posting when I asked this question a little
over a year ago.  All of these servers are available via ftp in the
/pub/servers directory on elroy.

/\  Dave Shaver
\\  CONVEX Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
\/  Internet: shaver@convex.com    UUCP:  uunet!convex!shaver