[comp.mail.misc] Which mail routing program do I need?

et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) (06/15/91)

Hi.  I've got a couple 3B2/700s to deal with.  Here's the situation:
we now have multiple mail readers on our system (mailx, elm, mush)
and people are beginning to use them.  Unfortunately, we only used to
have "mailx" and all of the aliases (mailing lists) were kept in
/usr/lib/mailx/mailx.rc, the global startup file.

Now, people who use other mail agents can't use the aliases because
they're specific to "mailx".

I've been trying to figure out which of the following I need:

	sendmail
	smail
	pathalias
	uumail
	<something else?>

Problems: I can't find a sendmail that will compile on my 3B2.  I know
that /usr/lib/aliases is where it will expand aliases, and this is the
type of thing I need.  Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
compile easily!  :-)

I really think I'm barking up the wrong tree with pathalias and uumail,
since we don't send to any other sites.

Thank you thank you thank you.  Email replies are (very) welcome.

Eric Thompson
et@ocf.berkeley.edu

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.204255.18302@agate.berkeley.edu> et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>Hi.  I've got a couple 3B2/700s to deal with.  Here's the situation:
>we now have multiple mail readers on our system (mailx, elm, mush)
>and people are beginning to use them.  Unfortunately, we only used to
>have "mailx" and all of the aliases (mailing lists) were kept in
>/usr/lib/mailx/mailx.rc, the global startup file.

>Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
>/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
>and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
>compile easily!  :-)

Which smail?  Smail 2.5 works just fine with /usr/lib/aliases.  However,
if you've not installed smail quite right, your mailers may not
invoke it properly.  I suppose that goes ditto for smail 3.x (you
don't really need smail 3).  Smail 2.5 does not permit mail-to-file
or mail-to-pipe in the aliases file - Jon Zeeff wrote a program
called lmail which can do it in conjunction with smail.  "deliver"
will also do that.  I can send you a copy of a fixed version of lmail
if you want.

>I really think I'm barking up the wrong tree with pathalias and uumail,
>since we don't send to any other sites.

uumail is a less functional version of smail 2.5 - don't bother.

Pathalias is useful with smail too - smail has support for the pathalias
map file.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

In article <1991Jun14.204255.18302@agate.berkeley.edu> et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>Problems: I can't find a sendmail that will compile on my 3B2.  I know
>that /usr/lib/aliases is where it will expand aliases, and this is the
>type of thing I need.  Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
>/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
>and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
>compile easily!  :-)

You should be able to use either smail2.5  or smail3.21.  They are very
different programs but either should compile and run on the 3B2.
 Smail2.5 only does alias and forward file lookup - you need to use
other programs for local and remote delivery.  If this is what you
tried and it didn't work, perhaps you have something configured wrong
or your aliases file wasn't sorted.  Some patches have been posted to
fix a bug in finding the last entry in the aliases file, though.
 Smail3.x does a fair impersonation of sendmail, including SMTP (optional),
forwarding to files and pipes, and handling most of sendmail's command
line options.  It's a bigger program with more options to configure, but
it is also more versatile and robust.
 Either version would normally be installed as /bin/rmail in a sysV
environment with a small front-end program installed as /bin/mail which
decides (based on the command line) whether to run the old /bin/mail for
reading mail or smail for sending.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun17.212220.8609@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
|In article <1991Jun14.204255.18302@agate.berkeley.edu> et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
|>Problems: I can't find a sendmail that will compile on my 3B2.  I know
|>that /usr/lib/aliases is where it will expand aliases, and this is the
|>type of thing I need.  Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
|>/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
|>and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
|>compile easily!  :-)

	Make sure the "defs.h" include file has
	the right info in it - you may have got
	smail from someone who tweaked theirs in
	some slightly unusual way.

|You should be able to use either smail2.5  or smail3.21.  They are very
|different programs but either should compile and run on the 3B2.

	"smail 3.1.21", actually

| Smail2.5 only does alias and forward file lookup - you need to use
|other programs for local and remote delivery.  If this is what you
|tried and it didn't work, perhaps you have something configured wrong
|or your aliases file wasn't sorted.

	Smail 2.5 doesn't need sorting of the
	"/usr/lib/aliases" file. However it does
	need to have the "/usr/lib/uucp/paths"
	file sorted as it does a binary lookup.
	It handles all remote uucp delivery in
	normal usage.

| Smail3.x does a fair impersonation of sendmail, including SMTP (optional),
|forwarding to files and pipes, and handling most of sendmail's command
|line options.  It's a bigger program with more options to configure, but
|it is also more versatile and robust.

	Smail 2.5 can forward to pipes with a simple
	patch; there's also patches to make it understand
	"%" in addresses, send BSD-style date formats, etc.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu