[comp.mail.misc] nice sendmail

jwm@SUN4.JHUAPL.EDU (James W. Meritt) (06/26/91)

me a dozen email messages surge through at once, each one starts a
sendmail process.  In quick order everything ELSE drags to a stop.

Like now.   :-(

Is there a way to set things up so that the sendmail processes initiated by
incoming email is nice'd?

Opinions expressed are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily
represent those opinions of this or any other organization.  The facts,
however, simply are and do not "belong" to anyone.
    jwm@sun4.jhuapl.edu or jwm@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu or meritt%aplvm.BITNET

kyle@uunet.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (06/29/91)

jwm@SUN4.JHUAPL.EDU (James W. Meritt) writes:
 > me a dozen email messages surge through at once, each one starts a
 > sendmail process.  In quick order everything ELSE drags to a stop.
 >
 > Like now.   :-(
 >
 > Is there a way to set things up so that the sendmail processes initiated by
 > incoming email is nice'd?

Use two instantiations of sendmail:  sendmail -bd to handle SMTP
and sendmail -q15m to run the queue periodically.  Start the
sendmail -bd with whatever nice value you think is appropriate.