[comp.mail.misc] Problems with MMDF...

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (06/29/91)

I recently installed SCO Unix System Vr3.2v2.0, which comes with MMDF
as the default MTA.  I managed to get things working fairly well, but
there are two things that still aren't working right:

1. MMDF seems to be putting "host.uucp" instead of "host" in the From_
line.  This is wrong; since From_ is a line that will be interpreted
by UUCP-only mailers (i.e., ones that don't understand domains), this
will break reply paths.  How do I fix this?

2. Most of the systems I connect to via UUCP have a domain name in addition
to a UUCP name.  (For example, "acorus" is also "acorus.mi.org".)  So,
I put the domain name in /usr/mmdf/table/uucp.chn like this:

acorus.mi.org	acorus!%s

The problem is that mail sent to "acorus.mi.org!user" gets queued for
acorus correctly, but mail sent to "user@acorus.mi.org" gets queued for
the host defined in the badhosts channel; evidently, MMDF isn't recognizing
"acorus.mi.org" as a valid address when it's used in a @-format address.
How can I make MMDF do this?

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun29.023919.3891@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>2. Most of the systems I connect to via UUCP have a domain name in addition
>to a UUCP name.  (For example, "acorus" is also "acorus.mi.org".)  So,
>I put the domain name in /usr/mmdf/table/uucp.chn like this:
>
>acorus.mi.org	acorus!%s
>
>The problem is that mail sent to "acorus.mi.org!user" gets queued for
>acorus correctly, but mail sent to "user@acorus.mi.org" gets queued for
>the host defined in the badhosts channel; evidently, MMDF isn't recognizing
>"acorus.mi.org" as a valid address when it's used in a @-format address.
>How can I make MMDF do this?

The necessary table entries in order to recognize
a domain as valid is

-- in a domain table

	name:	canonical.domain.name

-- in a channel table

	canonical.domain.name:	information-specific-to-that-channel

In your case .. I assume you have an "mi.org" domain table.  That
should contain the entry

	acorus:	acorus.mi.org

You might also put, in your UUCP domain table, the same line.
This will let "acorus.uucp" be recognized & mapped to "acorus.mi.org".

Then in your UUCP channel table you put

	acorus.mi.org:	acorus!%s
	acorus.uucp:	acorus!%s

The last is redundant and possibly unecessary.  But then I
am a sometime member of the Department for Redundancy Department.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<-