[news.groups] Usenet reorganization list

rec@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Richard Currier) (11/14/86)

In article <16406@mordor.ARPA> jdb@mordor.UUCP writes:
>Also, it isn't clear what the criteria for this are -- "comp.sys.mac"
>and "comp.sys.amiga" will be moderated, but "comp.sys.ibm.pc" and
>"comp.sys.atari16" will not.  "net.micro.pc" has been the subject of
>discussion recently because of all of the sources posted there.  A
>"du" on my machine shows that "net.micro.pc" and "net.micro.atari16"
>are using up more of my spool filesystem than "net.micro.mac" and
>"net.micro.amiga".  I expire news pretty quickly, so I don't claim
>that this instantaneous snapshot completely represents reality, but
>it does give me cause to wonder why the Mac and Amiga groups were
>singled out.
>--
Forget it John. The anti-mac forces are going to win this one. For the
moment they can afford to keep their heads in the sand. As time goes by,
however, I think the volume of Mac/Sun etc. users connected to the Net
will force the current power structure to admit that the workstation/Unix
connection is a vital part of the Unix environment and that information
on that connection is worth carrying.

I use the tools that you have passed through the net every day on the job.
To eliminate the information flow that provided those tools will greatly
lessen the value of the Net to many working Unix professionals and hasten
its demise. I no longer rely on the Net myself for that vital infomation.

I also don't contribute to the same degree that I used to. The laws of
nature are no more evident than can be seen in the rise and fall of the
Net.

--
	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec

dean@violet.berkeley.edu (/violet_g/dean) (11/15/86)

In article <520@mplvax.nosc.MIL> rec@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier) writes:
>In article <16406@mordor.ARPA> jdb@mordor.UUCP writes:
>>Also, it isn't clear what the criteria for this are -- "comp.sys.mac"
>>and "comp.sys.amiga" will be moderated, but "comp.sys.ibm.pc" and
>>"comp.sys.atari16" will not.  "net.micro.pc" has been the subject...
>
>Forget it John. The anti-mac forces are going to win this one.
>I use the tools that you have passed through the net every day on the job.
>To eliminate the information flow that provided those tools...

Why do you feel that turning a group into a moderated group is
equivalent to eliminating it?  I appreciate the (generally speaking)
higher signal/noise ratio of moderated groups.  Submissions are
generally a bit better thought out and multiple copies of the same
response can be filtered out.

- Dean	(dean@violet.berkeley.edu)