[news.groups] So much for headlines...

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (11/11/86)

Expires:

This came from misc.headlines:

In article <312b7896.110a@apollo.uucp> brian@apollo.UUCP (Brian Holt) writes:
>Hmmm.  I had looked forward to misc.headlines.  It sounded like a great forum
>for those overwhelming stories that capture the attention of the world.
>Things like Three Mile Island, the Shuttle Disaster, and the Iranian Hostage
>Situation of the Carter era.
>
>I guess it is a reincarnation of net.psi however...
>
>Forthwith, I am unsubscribed.  It is a shame that many are doing likewise
>and destroying the potential for a very useful newsgroup.

Please, can we have a home for psi discussions?

mod.psi does not work.  No one is posting any psi to sci.misc either, which
is the next best thing.

Now, I know part of the purpose of misc.headlines was to absorb the big and
inappropriate discussions that hit other groups, but not the *permanent*
discussions that hit other groups.

Psi traffic exists and continues to exist.  Give it its home, so us closed
minded scientismoidal behavoirrhoids can flame each other about all other
idiotic topics in relative peace.  Please?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (11/14/86)

In article <243@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
: Please, can we have a home for psi discussions?

: mod.psi does not work.  No one is posting any psi to sci.misc either, which
: is the next best thing.

PSI has a home: mod.psi.

If it "doesn't work", don't complain to us, make it work.

Postings should be mailed to mod-psi@ulowell.csnet or
mod-psi@ulowell.uucp.  When you install 2.11, postings
made using postnews will be automatically mailed, even
if your netnews administrator has not kept /usr/lib/news/moderators
up to date.

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/14/86)

I declare !!!  creating a group named "misc.headlines" to give psi and
other obnoxious discussions a home is *STUPID* !!! (now, I said it again - do
I have to write *FLAME ON* at the beginning of the paragraph to get away with
it?)  In a private message I just explained to a relative newcomer what
"net-gods" are:  basically, think of the gods in Greek mythology:

1) you don't really know if anyone is listening when you "pray" to them
2) you don't really know how to get their attention without bothering them
3) there are so many of them that you shouldn't be surprised if you can't
   find one that considers *your* mortal problem to be in *his* department.
4) request (no matter how justified) are likely to get ignored (unless there
	is one in particular that favors you for some reason)
5) suggestions (foolish or brilliant) from 'mere mortals' usually get ignored
	(and might even anger some - in particular those in whose area of
	 expertise you are meddling)
6) once a god has done something trying to get him to undo it because its
	STUPID (here, he said it again) is next to impossible and usually
	dangerous.
7) they are all related and they party a lot ....   hehehe...

what, then, is a mere mortal do to cope with that situation ??

well, try to become a semigod yourself (get yourself a desktop UNIX-machine and
become a 'mini-superuser') AND get yourself invited to the next shin-dig ...
(or find a way to crash the orgy ...)

-------------------------

serious now, folks, Greek Gods aren't all that bad, as a matter of fact when
you read about them, you kind of want to be one, too.  It sure makes it
easier to get away with stupidity (or to correct it).

oh, and don't expect Greek gods to laugh about jokes like these ...  ZZzaaaapp

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (11/17/86)

In article <1403@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>I declare !!!  creating a group named "misc.headlines" to give psi and
>other obnoxious discussions a home is *STUPID* !!! (now, I said it again - do
>I have to write *FLAME ON* at the beginning of the paragraph to get away with
>it?)  In a private message I just explained to a relative newcomer what
>"net-gods" are:  basically, think of the gods in Greek mythology:

I find this fascinating, coming from the U of Texas, which is said to
have refused to join the Usenet backbone, leaving a gaping hole in Texas.
Had they joined (and the possibility is still open) they would have been
involved in this, and other, decisions.

I also fail to see the value in publicly stating that a decision is
stupid, without giving the slightest hint about WHY he feels this way.
There was sure a lot of support on the net for creating this group
when it was proposed.  But then nobody expected psi types to take
the group over, either.

	Mark

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/19/86)

In article <3070@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>In article <1403@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>I declare !!!  creating a group named "misc.headlines" to give psi and
>>other obnoxious discussions a home is *STUPID* !!! (now, I said it again - do
>>I have to write *FLAME ON* at the beginning of the paragraph to get away with
>>it?)  In a private message I just explained to a relative newcomer what
>>"net-gods" are:  basically, think of the gods in Greek mythology:

>I also fail to see the value in publicly stating that a decision is
>stupid, without giving the slightest hint about WHY he feels this way.
>There was sure a lot of support on the net for creating this group
>when it was proposed.  But then nobody expected psi types to take
>the group over, either.

How true.

There are other groups that seem to be "squatters home" to the
collection of marginal, innovative, or "optimistically scientific"
interest such as the PSI.  One of these "home groups" is in
sci.physics.

Perhaps a group called "sci.bizzare" or "sci.phenom"  might make
everyone more comfortable.

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {mimsy | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP    | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (11/19/86)

Expires:

In article <317@prometheus.UUCP> pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) writes:
>There are other groups that seem to be "squatters home" to the
>collection of marginal, innovative, or "optimistically scientific"
>interest such as the PSI.  One of these "home groups" is in
>sci.physics.

Sure sure.  These psi people have a fixation with the unconfirmed.  That's
their right, but it ISN'T PHYSICS!  Tachyons, wormholes, Gathman channels,
hypercharge, EPR, etc.--those topics are physics.  They may be ludicrous,
but at least they're physics.  Psi isn't remotely close.  I don't care how
loudly the psiers echo their misunderstandings of quantum mechanics, as long
as they don't call it physics.

>Perhaps a group called "sci.bizzare" or "sci.phenom"  might make
>everyone more comfortable.

There already exists sci.misc which can accomodate the discussion.  We keep
hearing rumors that mod.psi is up and running, but I think it's a myth.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/20/86)

[ well, if I didn't bring the wrath of "Zeus" himself on me .... (-: ]

In article <3070@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> In article <1403@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> >I declare !!!  creating a group named "misc.headlines" to give psi and
> >other obnoxious discussions a home is *STUPID* !!! (now, I said it again - do
> I find this fascinating, coming from the U of Texas, which is said to
> have refused to join the Usenet backbone, leaving a gaping hole in Texas.
> Had they joined (and the possibility is still open) they would have been
> involved in this, and other, decisions.

while I sympathize with what you say Mark, please realize that I have nothing
to do with such decisions, but I join you in regretting it.  I'm just a lowly
user on these machines.  having said that, I also have to regret your above
statement as it indicates that there actually exists an "insider club" and
that, unless you belong, it's hard to stay informed or even to try to
participate in the shaping of the net.

> I also fail to see the value in publicly stating that a decision is
> stupid, without giving the slightest hint about WHY he feels this way.
> There was sure a lot of support on the net for creating this group
> when it was proposed.  But then nobody expected psi types to take
> the group over, either.

In earlier messages, I have discussed this matter with arguments and
indicated that I had been informed that the reasons for that group was
to carry such "nuisance-postings" (psi, etc.) - I expressed at that time
my surprise and distress at such misleading choice of a group-name.  I also
expressed that the first message in that group after creation did not indicate
such use.   I would like to think that it is not neccessary to repeat myself
over and over in a continueing discussion - besides, my posting to which you
responded, was quite obviously a vitriolic, tongue-in-cheek out-burst in
frustration - and not very difficult to recognize as such.

But, I don't want to complain, you are still my favorite net-god, at least
until I can find an impersonation of Athena, heroinne of my early years,
to protect me and favor my cause ....(-:

By the way, Gene, would you mind if I think of you as "Bacchus" ... (((-:

ok, any nominations for "Mars"(nee Ares) and "Poseidon" ?