[news.groups] Proposed: a split of this group

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (12/03/86)

     [For the edification of the people in news.groups, a
newsgroup split has been proposed for comp.ai: one group for
implementors, and one for philosophy of AI.  Several people
have seconded the motion.]

     I should note at this point that, theoretically at least,
there is already a newsgroup that is perfect for the
philosophy of mind/intelligence/AI discussion.  It's called
talk.philosophy.tech, and has been talked about as an official
newsgroup for some time.

     The trouble is that I know of no site which is actually
carrying this newsgroup.  Also, it doesn't appear on the
official newsgroup list.

     I think the meta-discussion in comp.ai should be enough
to push the net.gods into re-doing the "newgroup" for
talk.philosophy.tech, creating it in fact as well as in theory.

--Jamie.
...!seismo!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The fires col, my storys tol"

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (12/05/86)

In article <603@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>     [For the edification of the people in news.groups, a
>newsgroup split has been proposed for comp.ai: one group for
>implementors, and one for philosophy of AI.  Several people
>have seconded the motion.]

I'd like to add my vote.

>     The trouble is that I know of no site which is actually
>carrying talk.philosophy.tech.  Also, it doesn't appear on the
>official newsgroup list.

Hmm... There's a line in my .newsrc:

talk.philosophy.tech:

(i.e. The group exists, and I'm subscribed, but nothing's ever appeared)

Of course, my site (watnot) has the distinction of being in the same
room as a backbone (watmath), so it may not have propagated everywhere.

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb@watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
I know things about TROY DONAHUE that can't even be PRINTED!!

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (12/09/86)

In article <603@ubc-cs.UUCP>, andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>      I should note at this point that, theoretically at least,
> there is already a newsgroup that is perfect for the
> philosophy of mind/intelligence/AI discussion.  It's called
> talk.philosophy.tech, and has been talked about as an official
> newsgroup for some time.

I am the `moderator' of this group, which is dormant pending
submissions. There was some trouble starting it up, and so
I maintained a mailing list for a while. I no longer do so.

If there is interest, we can try to start it up again. The
interested parties just went back to their old groups when
we had so much trouble propagating it.

peter ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa

rosa@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Rosa Michaelson) (12/12/86)

Summary:SPLIT THE GROUP

Please split the group. I have an aversion to the words
turing, cognative, brain, mind, identity, inteligence, etc
(no not etc) which has been learnt through reading the
various ai newsgroups. Do you realise that we get at least
three copies of each news item(through various digests)