[news.groups] comp.sources.amiga

page@ulowell.UUCP (01/24/87)

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) wrote in article <3830@sdcrdcf.UUCP>:
>Furthermore, the net gods have not yet made a decision about turning on
>moderated groups that aren't mod.* groups.  The above message may or may
>not turn out to be true.

At a meeting of Usenet admins during USENIX, it was decided to start
the renaming of the mod.* groups.  This means mod.amiga.sources will
become a comp group, but will still be moderated.  It also means
that mod.amiga and comp.sys.amiga will be merged into comp.sys.amiga,
and will be moderated.

I do not know the timetable for the changeover, but expect to see it
sometime soon.  Some groups may convert faster than others (I expect
the amiga, mac, and sources groups to put up a fight).  Furthermore, any
discussion of the change should occur in news.groups, NOT comp.sys.amiga,
so followups should go there.

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <972@ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

> 						...  It also means
> that mod.amiga and comp.sys.amiga will be merged into comp.sys.amiga,
> and will be moderated.
> --
> Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

Please, tell me it isn't so! No, I am not worried about "censorship" or
other people controlling my messages, I am worried that every moderated
group on usenet is a friggin black hole. I am sure there is some statistical
equation to describe the chances that a message will make it to any point
on the net, especially to the moderators machine, and then make it out
again. Frankly I think it is damn near zero. Has *any* moderated group
on this network *ever* worked? Not that I know of, and why force umpty
ump thousand people to go with out any sort of information because one
site lost an RP06. My vote, if there is an ice cube's chance in hell
that it will matter, is to keep two groups. One moderated and one not
moderated, that way there will at least be a backup group available.
--
--Chuck McManis

eric@ektools.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <12089@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <972@ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>> 						...  It also means
>> that mod.amiga and comp.sys.amiga will be merged into comp.sys.amiga,
>> and will be moderated.
>> --
>> Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET
>Please, tell me it isn't so!
>My vote, if there is an ice cube's chance in hell
>that it will matter, is to keep two groups. One moderated and one not
>moderated, that way there will at least be a backup group available.
>--
>--Chuck McManis

I would also like to add my vote in agreement!

eric...

Eric M. Kleinpaste        ...seismo!rochester!kodak!ektools!eric
                   Eastman Kodak Company

berry@well.UUCP (01/29/87)

.edu> <12089@sun.uucp> <531@ektools.UUCP>

Please, please, please do not make comp.sys.amiga a moderated
group.  That would stifle a tremendous amount of important
discussion of vital information which is simply not available
elsewhere.