[news.groups] New newsgroup requested: mod.flame

rlw@briar.UUCP (01/16/87)

One of the more interesting groups to me over the years was the lamented (by
me) net.flame.  This group was significantly more amusing than net.jokes at
its best/worst.  Old timers will remember the joy of watching someone who
submitted "test" to net.general get charred to a puny, crisp cinder.

I hereby propose and offer to moderate a new group:

		*************
		* mod.flame *
		*************

The contents of this group will be restricted to unprovoked accusations, ad
hominem (feminem, mechanism) attacks of any sort, blistering complaints against
the unfairness of the world, the fairness of the world, your boss, your
spouse, your advisor, your home room teacher, IBM, UNISYS*, etc.

wish to defend those attacked will be scorned.

No reasonable submission will be accepted.

--Dick Wexelblat

*  UNISYS?  UNISYS:

-Doctor, Doctor, I've got UNISYS!

-Sit down, son, sit down.

-Sit down?  Dammit, Doctor, if I could sit down I wouldn't be here.

edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric D. Christensen) (01/23/87)

In article <639@briar.UUCP> rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
>I hereby propose and offer to moderate a new group:
>
>		*************
>		* mod.flame *
>		*************
>
>The contents of this group will be restricted to unprovoked accusations, ad
>hominem (feminem, mechanism) attacks of any sort, blistering complaints against
>the unfairness of the world, the fairness of the world, your boss, your
>spouse, your advisor, your home room teacher, IBM, UNISYS*, etc.

Good Idea! I feel sort of stupid for supporting the talk.flame idea now!
I think that the net desperately needs a place to vent frustration. net.flame
get out of hand before, and I'm sure talk.flame would do the same without
some supervision. The only question is 'does everyone want to pay the cost
of supporting a public bitch list?'

Cheers-

--
Eric D. Christensen		          UUCP:   ihnp4!sun!altos86!altnet!edc
Altos Computer Systems  		  Inter:  edc@altnet.UUCP

hhm@ihuxo.UUCP (01/28/87)

> In article <639@briar.UUCP> rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
> >I hereby propose and offer to moderate a new group:
> >
> >		*************
> >		* mod.flame *
> >		*************

I wholeheartedly support this. There was no excuse for killing net.
flame, no matter what was said there. Maybe the bluenoses who killed
it in the first place would rather that people do physical violence
to each other rather than let off steam and get it off their chests.

                                                   Larry

woods@hao.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <684@ihuxo.UUCP> hhm@ihuxo.UUCP (Mayo) writes:
>> In article <639@briar.UUCP> rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
>> >I hereby propose and offer to moderate a new group:
>> >
>> >		*************
>> >		* mod.flame *
>> >		*************
>> >
>I wholeheartedly support this. There was no excuse for killing net.
>flame, no matter what was said there.

  Yes, there was. It was expensive and was threatening to kill the entire net
by forcing some sites that pay most of the phone bills (including, but not
limited to, ours) to consider leaving the net altogether. That *one* group
of dubious value accounted for over 20% of all net traffic (and expense).
After it's demise, our phone bill immediately dropped by 15%.

>Maybe the bluenoses who killed
>it in the first place would rather that people do physical violence
>to each other rather than let off steam and get it off their chests.

  No, we'd rather that you mail your flames so that your site can share
in the cost, instead of posting them to 100000+ readers, none of whom
gives two shits what you think, and making it cost hundreds of times as much
with zero extra benefit.
  I can firmly state that there is no way our site is going to pay to carry
a group where people are encouraged by its very name and charter to be juvenile
and abusive. I'm sure at least some of the other backbone sites agree. If you
want to create the group and then set up your own links to pay for its
distribution, I won't try to stop you, provided you can find anyone (including
your company) willing to help pay for it. Good luck.

--Greg
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

gibson@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <506@hao.UCAR.EDU> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:

>>I wholeheartedly support this. There was no excuse for killing net.
>>flame, no matter what was said there.
>
>  Yes, there was.... etc. etc.
>
>  I can firmly state that there is no way our site is going to pay to carry
>a group where people are encouraged by its very name and charter to be juvenile
>and abusive. I'm sure at least some of the other backbone sites agree. If you
>want to create the group and then set up your own links to pay for its
>distribution, I won't try to stop you, provided you can find anyone (including
>your company) willing to help pay for it. Good luck.
>
>--Greg

Sounds like this should be mod.flame's first article :-)

*snicker*

--Kerr Bear

cramer@kontron.UUCP (01/30/87)

> >I wholeheartedly support this. There was no excuse for killing net.
> >flame, no matter what was said there.
>
>   Yes, there was. It was expensive and was threatening to kill the entire net
> by forcing some sites that pay most of the phone bills (including, but not
> limited to, ours) to consider leaving the net altogether. That *one* group
> of dubious value accounted for over 20% of all net traffic (and expense).
> After it's demise, our phone bill immediately dropped by 15%.
>
> >Maybe the bluenoses who killed
> >it in the first place would rather that people do physical violence
> >to each other rather than let off steam and get it off their chests.
>
>   No, we'd rather that you mail your flames so that your site can share
> in the cost, instead of posting them to 100000+ readers, none of whom
> gives two shits what you think, and making it cost hundreds of times as much
> with zero extra benefit.
>   I can firmly state that there is no way our site is going to pay to carry
> a group where people are encouraged by its very name and charter to be juvenile
> and abusive. I'm sure at least some of the other backbone sites agree. If you
> --Greg

What?  You don't carry talk.politics.misc, talk.abortion, and soc.women?

Clayton E. Cramer