[news.groups] mod.newsgroup-overview - a new group...

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (02/08/87)

My friend Tim Pozar (moderator of mod.mag.fidonet) and I (moderator of
mod.conferences and mod.comp-soc) were talking about the problems people
having knowing what is going on in the various newsgroups that are a part
of USENET.  We're both members of 'the well' too, and on their system one
of the nice features is that they have a conference that talks about what's
going on in the other conferences.

So, inevitably, we thought that this would be a good idea for USENET to
have.  Then we started kicking it around a bit and realized it would be
a REALLY GOOD idea - sufficiently good that we decided to post this
message to the net!

In a nutshell, we're proposing the creation of a new newsgroup called
something like "mod.newsgroup-overview" (or, if we can skip the
'mod' prefix, something like "news.groups-overview") which would be
one of the 'automatically subscribed to' groups in the various news
reading software.

The group would contain postings like;
----------
	Subject: mod.conferences

	This group is used for announcements of upcoming conferences,
	postings of Call For Papers, and so on.  It is a moderated
	group and submissions should be sent to the following:

		conferences@hplabs.HP.COM

	or      <backbone>!hplabs!conferences

----------
and for groups that have discussions that wander around from topic
to topic, the posting could summarize what has been discussed in the
previous 'n' weeks (more on that in a sec), so that people reading
it could, in a few lines, decide if the actual topics of discussion
are interesting or not.

Since there are at last count 299 groups (outside of HP internal
groups, Bay Area groups, California groups, Stanford groups and
UCBerkeley groups that we receive on this machine) it is really
incredibly difficult to figure out what is going on, and while the
'list of available newsgroups' is useful, for 99% of the people
who join USENET they just don't have the patience to read the list.
Also, discussions in groups change over time and this would give
people a bit more freedom to unsubscribe from a group and then join
again when the discussion moves to more interesting things.  Another
advantage is that there is quite a bit less volume of information -
the way I figure it with ~300 groups we could have each group allowed
to post a summary once every three months.  This would result in
approximately 3 articles a day.

Now realistically, I'm sure that no more than 40% of the groups will
have someone reporting in what is being discussed, so we're really
talking approximately one message a day in the group.  This is quite
a manageable level, I think!!

Furthermore, it needs to be moderated to enforce the one posting
per three months plus it will ensure that people don't get into
major flame wars about what is being discussed, whether it belongs
in the group, and so on.

*I* volunteer to moderate it.  Yow.  But I already have all the software
in place and it's trivial to use, so it would merely mean that I get a wee
bit more mail...nothing I'd notice, I'm sure!!

The only problems I can envision with it are that for the unmoderated
groups I might start getting summaries like "we've been discussing
Kate Bush, and there sure seem to be a lot of jerks who think she's
less than God Incarnate..." or "The latest topics include the idiocy
of the people who designed Ada".  If we can avoid the subjective
value judgements we'd be really well off.  (Perhaps someone is willing
to write a script that summarizes the Subject: lines for a group for
a period of time, removes all "Re:"s and noise words, then outputs the
top 'n' topics for the previous amount of time...)

Any comments?  Suggestions?

If we start this, I think we should break the three-month period into
three-week sections and have each one assigned for a type of group
(e.g. "mod.*" first, then "news.*", and so on).  We can adjust the
length of time of each section according to the number of groups in
the section.  More on that later, though.

	I think this could be an EXCELLENT way to improve USENET in a
	painless but very effective way.

					-- Dave Taylor

ghoti#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/12/87)

[Kind-of-long.....Sorry]

> taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes.....
> In a nutshell, we're proposing the creation of a new newsgroup called
> something like "mod.newsgroup-overview" (or, if we can skip the
> 'mod' prefix, something like "news.groups-overview") which would be
> one of the 'automatically subscribed to' groups in the various news
> reading software.

I am not a moderator, nor am I hoping to become one, but as a bboard system
maintainer at a university (at which we receive over 400 bboards from the
internet and usenet combined), I've noticed a feature on the internet which
is not quite as well suported on the usenet bboards - the list-of-lists.

It seems to me that if you take Dave Taylor's idea and modify it a bit you
might be able to accomplish something even better than the originally planned
idea (obviously, this is my opinion so far:-).

SO: I propose the following as an adaptaion:

[Initial set-up]
The Moderator collects informational paragraphs from as many of the
news-group maintainers as he can, and arranges them alphabetically in a file
---allow say about a month to compile the initial post.

[First Post]
This information which has been collected/organized is then posted at the
begining of the next month (i.e. if it is ready by Feb 23, post it on March
1).

[Upkeep]
All news-group maintainers are invited to update their entry and/or submit
their initial entry for this list at any time.  The Moderator will take care
of replacing out-dated information with new information, and can optionally
post the updates seperately as they come in (Moderators choice at this point,
I don't think it would be worth it, but I could be wrong).  The Moderator
should probably try to summarize the changes at the top of the file for
example:
	CHANGES SINCE 2/1/87 POSTING:
		mod.squad --> New group
		news.room --> Deleted group
		net.foo --> Renamed --> comp.foo
		talk.alot --> New Description
		--------------------------
		Individual Descriptions Follow
		-------------------------
At the begining of every month, the file is reposted - the summary at the top
will allow you to quickly notice whether something has changed with respect
to one of the groups you read or used to read, and will also inform you of
new news-groups starting up that might interest you.

There are still issues to be played with:
	Name of the news-group,
	Are intermediary updates sent out, or just monthly (maybe even
bi-monthly
		if things seem to stay stable for lengths at a time)
	Format
	Terminology used in Summary
	Time required of Moderator to keep this reasonably upto-date (i.e. it
shouldn't
		take more than  5 minutes to insert or replace an entry)
	What opportunity is there for automation (and how much should be
used)

End of idea.

I think it sounds reasonable, but i am not as involved with usenet operations
as you are - what do you think?

--fish
(Adam Stoller <ghoti#@andrew.cmu.edu>)