[news.groups] The Alternative Backbone

john@xanth.UUCP (06/12/87)

Let's move this discussion out of comp.sources.d.  It's not really
appropriate for news.config either, so I've set a Followup-To:
news.groups on this article (and a new subject).

In article <10332@decwrl.DEC.COM>, reid@decwrl.DEC.COM (Brian Reid) writes:
> 1) No group reaches everyone on the net. Even the so-called "mandatory"
>    groups have at best 25% readership.

Yes, but I think Gene was referring to sites, not users.  If a number
of sites all create, say, alt.sources, but don't make sure that they
all have connectivity to each other, sources posted to the groups in
some parts of the country won't reach other parts.  This happened with
net.sources recently, and with net.rec.drugs some time ago.

> 2) Alternative groups are currently forced to be second-class citizens.
>    The periodic "checkgroup" messages flush them from time to time on
>    many systems. The mechanisms for moderators do not really support
>    a moderated alternative group.

As long as you don't name your alternative groups under any of the
top-level categories in the checkgroups message (and you're running
2.11 news), checkgroups could care less about them.  The "inet" groups
are going to be more of a problem in this regard.

For moderators, you aren't restricted to just "backbone" in the
mailpaths file. It will match newsgroup patterns; e.g.

	alt		hoptoad!%s
	backbone	seismo!%s
	internet	%s

Then hoptoad or whoever would have aliases for "alt-humor-spc" and so on.

> 3) There is no reason why the alternative groups cannot use the same kind
>    of distribution that the mainstream groups have now: relaying. The
>    use of PC Pursuit and nntp makes it possible to ship alternative groups
>    to many places for not much money.

Absolutely!  Go for it.  The only problem with PCP is that you can
only make one call per PCP ID at any given time.  We only have one ID
here, and we have had nights where no mail went through due to
communications with our news feed.

> I think it would be nice if the mechanisms in B
> News software were a little more accepting of alternative groups.

Actually, 2.11 is quite flexible in this regard.  The "unix-pc" people
haven't been having much trouble, not to mention all the
organizational newsgroups.

More power to the "alt" people; hopefully this'll keep the flaming
*way down* in news.groups and the like.

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET