[news.groups] Smarter Pnews

karl@haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) (06/17/87)

In article <2019@hplabsc.UUCP> taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) writes:
>I counter that if we want to REALLY solve the problem of having non-source
>postings in a group like 'net.sources' then the correct solution is to
>modify the software to be more aware of groups and their intent and if I
>post something to 'net.sources' have it look to see if it is sources.  If
>not, then it'd prompt me [for more info, which would map to an appropriate
>newsgroup name].

An interesting idea.  I'd guess the best way to implement it would be for each
newsgroup to have an optional hook, which if present would point to a program
that would do all the dirty work.  (Keep such programs outside of the news
system itself.)

You suggested that the program should look at the posting to determine if it's
source -- this needs a user override (i.e. a menu option that says "this
really is source"), since heuristics are sometimes wrong.

I am redirecting followups to news.misc.