[net.news.group] "new group..."

sword02@excalibur.UUCP (Luther ) (02/27/86)

I would like to make a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there
is only one NET.BOOKS.  I would like to set up a NET.BOOKS for just
fantasy, and science fiction lovers.  I have discussed this with
various people who now use the net, and they have all agreed that it
would be a nice addition.

I have one problem.  I know we have the abiltity to set up a new NET
group, but I was told that I had to go through it in a Buerocratic
way.  How do I go about the voting on the group.  I have read all
the messages on this group, but they did not help much.  Should I
just post the propossal on NET.BOOKS and NET.SF-LOVERS, or should I
post it here only???

Mail responses would be appreciated, and any votes or comments on
the subject!!!

Thanks...

      ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!sword02

          <don't ask me how I remembered it>

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/03/86)

In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
> ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
> I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.

net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
for another group.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio         INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM

li@uw-vlsi.ARPA (Phyllis Li) (03/06/86)

In article <838@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
>> ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
>> I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.
>
>net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
>for another group.

Actually I don't see all that much fantasy begin discussed here; and when
it is it is usually done in a "well, I shouldn't, but..." manner.  Here's
to more fantasy on sf-lovers!!  :)

					LiralenOx Li

--
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

USENET:  ihnp4!akgua!sb6!fluke!uw-vlsi!li
ARPA:    li@uw-vlsi.arpa

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (03/08/86)

Regardless of whats been posted here recently, I have a proposal for a new
newsgroup.

I suggested the idea on net.games, and received several positive replies.

Proposal:  net.games.infocom

For: sharing stories, hints, info, rumors, all "giveaway" answers could be
rotated or left in email (to avoid numerous, equivalent answers on the net)

What do you think?  Everyone has dabbled in an Infocom game now and then!  Share
your success stories!  Offer help!

Votes in email, I'll keep track of results and then SOMEONE can decide how they
should be tallied correctly.

"NO" votes are appreciated (see previous articles)

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (03/09/86)

In article <838@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
>> ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
>> I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.
>
>net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
>for another group.

I don't know, Fred.  I am not interested in the other 50%, which is why
I don't subscribe to net/sf-lovers.  If there are a lot of people in
my position, then net.books.sf would be a good idea.  I don't think
that I am a minority of one -- but perhaps I am
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

ix312@sdcc6.UUCP (ix312) (03/11/86)

In article <838@decuac.UUCP>, avolio@decuac.UUCP writes:
> In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
> > ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
> > I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.
>
> net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
> for another group.

I, too, feel that there is a need to separate books.sf/fantasy from
media science fiction.  The media group could then include the present
Dr. Who group.  This might then reduce the double coverage of many
articles in both the net.sf-lovers and net.tv, as well as some
duplication in net.books and net.sf-lovers.

There is, in my opinion, enough difference between literary science
fiction and media science fiction to warrent this.

				       ME

 (Yes, I'd love to get and education, but it's too late; I already have
  my Ph.D.)

irene@epistemi.UUCP (Irene Orr) (03/11/86)

A new group JUST FOR SF & FANTASY  BOOKS! so we can have grossly
misspelled cross-posting to net.sf-lovers, net.books and this new
group, no doubt.  Most sf readers are literate (well, nearly) so
net.sf-lovers should be quite adequate.  Anyway, what is
net.sf-lovers FOR if not sf & fantasy books, as well as other media,

		Irene Orr
		(...mcvax!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!irene)

phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) (03/12/86)

>Actually I don't see all that much fantasy begin discussed here; and when
>it is it is usually done in a "well, I shouldn't, but..." manner.  Here's
>to more fantasy on sf-lovers!!  :)

A solution!  I hereby decree that sf-lovers means speculative-fiction-lovers!
(So it's a kludge.  Wanna make something of it?)
--
						Tommy Phillips
The Gibbelins eat, as is well known, nothing less good than man.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/12/86)

In article <598@hoptoad.uucp>, laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
> I don't know, Fred.  I am not interested in the other 50%, which is why
> I don't subscribe to net/sf-lovers.  If there are a lot of people in
> my position, then net.books.sf would be a good idea.

You are quite right Laura and I was wrong.  In fact, the 50% I wrote is
dead wrong.  I just stop noticing how many times I hit the 'n' key when
reading net.sf-lovers (although, Laura, I bet you soon unsubscribe to
net.rumor ... one must hit the 'n' key lots more there now-a-days!) I
think that a subgroup under net.books is a good idea.
--

norman@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Norman Ramsey) (03/12/86)

In article <598@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>In article <838@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>>In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
>>> ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
>>> I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.
>>net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
>>for another group.
>
>I don't know, Fred.  I am not interested in the other 50%, which is why
>I don't subscribe to net/sf-lovers.  If there are a lot of people in

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible for us to put the keyword
"book" in the Keywords: part of the header for those postings relating to
books? Those who are interested in books only could then filter out other
postings using their kill files. Of course, it is probably asking too much
of our overworked posters that they remember to insert this keyword where
appropriate... (:-)
--
Norman Ramsey     norman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       Pianist at Large

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/14/86)

> Those who are interested in books only could then filter out other
> postings using their kill files.

  Anyone who thinks like this shoudl subscribe to the group 'mod.newslists',
in which every month an article is posted detailing the wide variety of
news versions in use. Only 'rn' supports 'kill' files. If 'rn' would
fit on our 11/70, I would gladly run it, but it doesn't. We are stuck
with 'readnews' and 'kill' files are only a dream. This is not a viable
option for much of the net. Do not assume the net looks the same to
everyone else as it does to you.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same; no one left to place or take the
blame; Will we leave this place an empty stone, or a shining ball of earth,
we can call our home"

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (03/17/86)

In article <2467@sdcc6.UUCP> ix312@sdcc6.UUCP (ix312) writes:
>In article <838@decuac.UUCP>, avolio@decuac.UUCP writes:
>> In article <417@excalibur.UUCP>, sword02@excalibur.UUCP writes:
>> > ... a proposal for a new group!  At the moment there is only one NET.BOOKS.
>> > I would like ... a NET.BOOKS for just fantasy, and science fiction lovers.
>>
>> net.sf-lovers is more than 50% dicussions of f&sf books.  There is no need
>> for another group.
>
>I, too, feel that there is a need to separate books.sf/fantasy from
>media science fiction.  The media group could then include the present
>Dr. Who group.  This might then reduce the double coverage of many
>articles in both the net.sf-lovers and net.tv, as well as some
>duplication in net.books and net.sf-lovers.
>
>There is, in my opinion, enough difference between literary science
>fiction and media science fiction to warrent this.
>

>				       ME
>
> (Yes, I'd love to get and education, but it's too late; I already have
>  my Ph.D.)

Count my  $0.02 in towards a "net.books.sf" or a "net.fantasy"

							Gryphon

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (03/17/86)

This is a formal request for a creation of soething along the lines of
"net.psi" to handle discussions of occult or parapsychological content.

I am a serious student of this field, and am interested in discussing this
topic. There are other people out there who like to dicsuss this topic.

Whenever it shows up on net.sci  (almost without exception) it is flamed.

There are two reasons for my suggeted title.
	1) The [obvious :-)] rebuff/parity of "net.sci"
	2) 'psi' - short for 'psionic'

Please respong (mail or post) on your oppions on this.

**** Oh powers that be  (aka Administration), hear our plea !!! ***

						humbly,
						Gryphon

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (03/18/86)

In article <242@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>This is a formal request for a creation of soething along the lines of
>"net.psi" to handle discussions of occult or parapsychological content.
>I am a serious student of this field, and am interested in discussing this
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^
Look , another oxymoron!
>Whenever it shows up on net.sci  (almost without exception) it is flamed.
                         ^^^^^^^
Or on net.physics, or net.med, or anywhere that is viewed by rational people.
Seems discussion of "occult" should be on net.religion ( :=) )
( Really, only kidding!!!! Don't flame! Ouch!)

Darwin's Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{decvax,linus,ihnp4,ima,wjh12,wanginst}!bbncca!aoa!carl
{wjh12,mit-vax}!biomed!aoa!carl
54 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge,MA 02140
617-864-0201x356
"Selmer MarkVI, Otto Link 5*, and VanDoren Java Cut."

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/21/86)

In article <424@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:

>In article <242@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>>This is a formal request for a creation of soething along the lines of
>>"net.psi" to handle discussions of occult or parapsychological content.
>>I am a serious student of this field, and am interested in discussing this
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^
>Look , another oxymoron!
>>Whenever it shows up on net.sci  (almost without exception) it is flamed.
>                         ^^^^^^^
>Or on net.physics, or net.med, or anywhere that is viewed by rational people.

   Geez! Give this guy a break. We already have net.origins. Net.psi seems
a lot more sensible to me.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/21/86)

>>>This is a formal request for a creation of something along the lines of
>>>"net.psi" to handle discussions of occult or parapsychological content.
>>>I am a serious student of this field, and am interested in discussing this
>>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^
>>Look , another oxymoron!
>>>Whenever it shows up on net.sci  (almost without exception) it is flamed.
>>                         ^^^^^^^
>>Or on net.physics, or net.med, or anywhere that is viewed by rational people.
>
>   Geez! Give this guy a break. We already have net.origins. Net.psi seems
>a lot more sensible to me.

If a topic can only get flamed when it shows up in the standard newsgroups,
it clearly deserves its own separate newsgroup.  Of course, I'm sure >>
above would subscribe to it so he could continue to flame the topic, but
at least the heat would be localized.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (03/22/86)

Add my vote to net.psi.  I`m not likely to be a contributor, but it's
clear the psi enthusiasts need a home of their own.  It's also clear net.sci
shouldn't be it.

--
"Ma, I've been to another      Ethan Vishniac
 planet!"                      {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

install@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (03/28/86)

Add my vote for "net.psi".  Some people I regard as level-headed and non-
hysterical have had experiences they don't understand and would like to
understand.  My feeling is these folks would benefit from a place they could
relate their stories and thoughts, without too much expectation that they'll
get a lecture for their trouble.  These people don't get treated much like
people in some places...
				Kevin O'Gorman
				...{ihnp4,hjuxa}!wcom!kosman!install

lindberg@suadb.UUCP (Per Lindberg QZ) (03/29/86)

Yes, here's another vote to split the sf-discussions into two newsgorups,
one for sf-movies, another for sf-books.