[news.groups] rec.gambling is a big loser

ege@cblpf.ATT.COM (Ernie Englehart) (07/07/87)

Well, it looks like rec.gambling is a big loser.  I got about three
yes votes and about ten no votes.

I found extremely interesting the discussions that have followed regarding
the "right" or "privledge" or "ability" of people to post articles to
certain groups, or to create new groups.

If an individual can control which newsgroups he wants to read, via the
.newsrc file, then why can't a machine have a similar file?  The machine
ought to be able to toss out those articles that he does not want, or
to specify a list of newsgroups to be accepted, and reject all others.
This ought to solve people's objections to new groups due to the volume
of articles that could be posted.

Creating a mail.gambling group is a great idea, but I don't have the time
or resources to manage something like that effectively.

On another note, I must regretfully unsubscribe to soc.singles because
there is just too much junk to read.  I am a single guy who doesn't want
to stay single for the rest of my life.  I was hoping that I could get
some fresh ideas from soc.singles.  Oh, well, I'll survive without it.

**  Ernie Englehart, AT&T Network Systems  **  "Good things come   **
**  (ihnp4,cbosgd)!cblpf!ege               **   in small packages" **

In article <577@cblpf.ATT.COM> ege@cblpf.ATT.COM (Ernie Englehart) writes:
> Well, it looks like rec.gambling is a big loser.  I got about three
> yes votes and about ten no votes.
>
> I found extremely interesting the discussions that have followed regarding
> the "right" or "privledge" or "ability" of people to post articles to
> certain groups, or to create new groups.
>
> If an individual can control which newsgroups he wants to read, via the
> .newsrc file, then why can't a machine have a similar file?  The machine
> ought to be able to toss out those articles that he does not want, or
> to specify a list of newsgroups to be accepted, and reject all others.
> This ought to solve people's objections to new groups due to the volume
> of articles that could be posted.

	This is being done, however the whole purpose of creating a newsgroup
	is to obtain widespread distribution, so one would have to think
	twice about creating a group that many sites would have serious
	reservations about receiving or passing on.

> Creating a mail.gambling group is a great idea, but I don't have the time
> or resources to manage something like that effectively.

	This is perhaps the key item.  If *you* don't have the time or
	resources to support this topic you feel is worthwhile, why do
	you expect some hundreds/thousands of news administrators to
	devote any particular incremental time and resources to it?

	If you expected hundreds of list members, you might have a point,
	but I doesn't require much effort to maintain a list less than
	100 members, which might be a reasonable transition point for
	reconsidering the creation of a newsgroup...