[news.groups] Second request for votes on comp.unix.sys5

root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/13/87)

(Sorry about the length 8-)

About 3 weeks ago I posted (to comp.unix.xenix and news.groups) a request
similar to the following.  I am posting the request a second time along with
related info about Microport System5 for the IBM PC/AT.  Votes and comments
will be accepted through July 31, 1987, at which point I will summarize all
votes and comments; I will mail the summaries to the backbone, and I will
post results to news.groups.

	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*
Email votes ONLY.  Posted votes will be IGNORED, flamed, folded and mutilated.
	*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*

          Is there enough interest in System5 to justify creation of a
        new Usenet news group called comp.unix.sys5 for the discussion
	of Unix System5?

	  The reason for this request is that there seems to be an
	increasing ammount of Sys5 discussion on the net, dispersed
	among comp.sys.ibm.pc, comp.unix.questions, comp.unix.xenix,
	comp.os.minix, and the like.  A single group would be desireable
	simply for the sake of concentrating these discussions in one
	place.
	  The existence of comp.unix.xenix and comp.bugs.sys5 argue
	that the discussion group should be called comp.unix.sys5.
	( comp.unix.xenix sets precedence for discussion groups about
	versions of unix under the name space of comp.unix; comp.bugs.sys5
	sets precedence for the use of the name sys5 as the abbreviation
	of choice for System5 )
	  There is a mailing list targeted for Microport System5 on the
	IBM/AT.  Although the newsletter addresses a subset of the Sys5
	world, the comp.unix.sys5 group would still be the appropriate
	place for it's concerns.  The Microp Newsletter is currently being
	sent to about 60 systems and is reaching the upper limit as far as
	mailing lists go.

After receiving a few questions about the moderated status of the new group, I
prepared the following:

	  I feel that the group would best be run as a MODERATED group.
	  I am NOT at this time volunteering to be the moderator as my
	  sites do not yet have a long term reliable news link.

	Advantages of moderation:
          1) A moderated group can easily be "gatewayed" to mail-only
          sites.  This could be done even by an automatic mail reflector
          playing Moderator.  Many of the Microport SV/AT machines do not
          have the resources to handle news, but are very happy with smail
          or (shudder) mailx.  Thus, these people will not be shut out of
          the discussion cycle.
          2) A moderated group is easier to archive and catalog.  This is
          useful for many reasons, reference being one of the stronger.
          3) A moderated group is more likely to be approved by the powers
          that be.
          4) A moderated group is better management of the readers time.  I
          don't pretend to speak for everyone/anyone, but I_ don't have
          more than about 2 hours a day to spend with Usenet.  That
          includes playing with comp.sources.*, being news admin for the
          dept, archiving groups, following sci.space (Thanks Henry), and
          so on, ad nausium.  A quick check of my .newsrc shows that most
          of the groups still subscribed to are moderated.  If I had more
          time I would add some more unmoderated groups, but for now, I
          don't have the time.

	Disadvantages of moderation:
	  1) Moderating adds about 2 to 4 days to the propagation time of
	  a submission.
	  2) Depending on the moderator, the group might become polarized
	  for/against some viewpoints.
	  3) Moderation is seen by some as being forced upon Usenet, and so
	  should be fought against on principle.

	My arguments against these "disadvantages:
	  1) The time for an article to propagate to the whole usa net
	      has been estimated at > 2 weeks.  Adding 3 days is only a 10%
	      increase.  I can live with that (judgement call).
	  2) So far I don't know of any moderators who don't go out of their
	      way to be fair.  Most have rules which for allowing/denying
	      submissions which they follow closely.  Also, this is a technical
	      group where opinions count for less than in a talk group.
	  3) This is a "religious" argument which I can not argue against.

        Votes (Yes/No), comments, questions, flames, and cash donations :-)
	accepted by email only to:

		uwvax.wisc.edu!geowhiz!uwspan!hobbes!plocher
		    -or-
		uwvax.wisc.edu!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher
		    -or-
		puff.wisc.edu!plocher
		    -or-
		plocher@puff.wisc.edu
		    -or-
		plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.cs.Wisc.EDU
		    -or-
		BITNET: uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher@psuvax1
		    -or-
		FidoNet: 121/0 John_Plocher

    (These mailboxes all forward to hobbes so use whichever ONE you wish)

     * Summary of votes received as of Mon Jul 13 12:00:07 CST 1987 *

``Do you favor the creation of a newsgroup called "comp.unix.sys5" targeted
  for discussion of Unix System5? ''

From: uwmacc!ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU!ll-xn!scw (Stephen C. Woods)		YES
From: uwmacc!seismo!cbmvax!grr (George Robbins)				YES +
From: uwmacc!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!allegra!ulysses!sfmag!sfsup!sfmin!lmg	YES
From: uwmacc!rutgers!cbmvax!snark!eric					YES
From: uwmacc!seismo!uunet!stb!michael					YES
From: uwmacc!rutgers!gatech!tektronix!psu-cs!curnutt (Bryan Curnutt)	YES +
From: <uwspan!?? - mail lost because I screwed up installing smail>	YES
From: <uwspan!?? - mail lost because I screwed up installing smail>	YES
From: <uwspan!?? - mail lost because I screwed up installing smail>	YES
From: <uwspan!?? - mail lost because I screwed up installing smail>	YES
From: uwmacc!seismo!svo!mfbbs!marc				      INFO ONLY
From: uwvax!rutgers!cbmvax!vu-vlsi!devon!transue			YES
From: <uwmacc!rutgers!umnd-cs!umn-cs!rosevax!herman!alan>		YES +
From: uwvax!harvard!wjh12!genrad!sdti!mjy				YES
From: uwvax!puff.wisc.edu!spool.wisc.edu!ihnp4.UUCP!ddsw1!karl		YES
From: uwvax!puff.wisc.edu!decwrl.dec.com!tallis.DEC!draper		YES
From: <uwmacc!rutgers!gatech!mcdchg!motdet!michael>			YES
From: seismo!umix!b-tech!zeeff						YES

Different names suggested by above (+) respondents:
	    comp.unix.microport
	    comp.unix.micro
	    comp.unix.uport

* End of call for votes.  What follows is info about the Microp Newsletter *

Microp Newsletter Address:

This list is targeted towards technical discussions of Microport's
Sys V/AT Unix for the IBM PC-AT.  It not officially or unofficially
related to Microport Systems Inc.

Any input you have should be sent to:

 seismo!umix!b-tech!microp
 microp%b-tech.uucp%umix.cc.umich.edu
					      -- Jon Zeeff (b-tech!zeeff)

			===============
		   (Current newsletter is #30)
			===============

From: b-tech!zeeff
Subject: back issues

I've set up an automated system for retrieving back issues.  Send mail to
b-tech!microp-back (*not* the normal microp) with a message body such
as:

RETURN <internet name@site.domain  or uucp path from some major site to you>
SEND <list of back issues>

example:

RETURN ihnp4!foo!user
SEND 5 6

Please limit it to 5 back issues per day to keep my neighbors happy.

--
John Plocher (see above for email address)