[news.groups] comp.mail.elm moderated?

dean@ndmath.UUCP (Dean Alvis) (09/11/87)

O.k., this is probably stupid, but i'll ask it anyway. Is comp.mail.elm
a moderated newsgroup? I've been getting a lot of error messages
recently indicating something like "unapproved article in moderated
group". The latest Newsgroups list i have, which is undoubtedly outdated,
shows it as moderated. Is there someone out there I can request a current
Newsgroup list from?

dean

woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) (09/11/87)

  comp.mail.elm has recently been turned into an unmoderated group. A control
message went out to do this. If your site is seeing "unapproved article"
messages, it probably means this control message didn't make it there. If
this control message throws your "rnews" into an infinite loop, you are probably
running news 2.11 patchlevel 6, which contains a bug that causes this to happen
when a newgroup message for an already-existing group comes around (which is
currently the only way to change the (un)moderated status of a group).
In that event, you need to apply patches #7 and #8 which fix this problem.
(I have them if you need them and can't get them from anywhere closer).

--Greg
--
UUCP: {husc6, gatech, oddjob, ames, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  INTERNET: woods@hao.ucar.edu

"She pretended not to want love; I hope she was only fooling me"