[news.groups] Finally Greg and I agree on something.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (09/13/87)

In article <887@hao.UCAR.EDU>, woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:

>   There has been lots of discussion, both on the net and on the backbone
> mailing list, about further splitting up comp.unix. Almost everyone

No there hasn't and no they don't, but let's get on to the fun stuff.

> The most logical split seems to be to pick out the Unix variants that
> generate the most traffic. Those would seem to be BSD, System V, Ultrix,
> Xenix and Microport (I'm certainly open to hearing other suggestions).

Actually, `trouble', `flame', `pbi', `future', `manual', `history',
`culture', and `misc' would be better, but let's get on to the fun stuff.

> have actually had to unsubscribe to due to excessive volume. So, I'm ready to
> create the following structure:

Well, just because your interest in the subject isn't as high as the
others that are sticking with unix.wizards is hardly reason to muck
with their group (since you unsubscribed, it ain't yours no more), but
let's get on to the fun stuff.

THE FUN STUFF:
> I would like to see these groups (especially "wizards") become
> moderated, so consider this also a request for anyone who would like

I Agree That Net.Wizards Should Be Moderated.  However, it doesn't
need a moderator.  Instead it should suffice that people can't post to
net.wizards until they can figure out a way to get around the
moderation restriction.  Of course, this isn't much of a limit now,
but Henry Spencer assures me C-news will be more challenging :-)

> "Will we leave this place an empty stone?"

Probably.  Would it be better if we left it a ``full stone''?

------ BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) (09/16/87)

In article <360@brandx.rutgers.edu> webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) writes:

>I Agree That Net.Wizards Should Be Moderated.  However, it doesn't
>need a moderator.  Instead it should suffice that people can't post to
>net.wizards until they can figure out a way to get around the
>moderation restriction.  Of course, this isn't much of a limit now,
>but Henry Spencer assures me C-news will be more challenging :-)

Grow up, Webber.  Not everyone thinks that playing childish games of
getting around reasonable restrictions is worth their time.
(Unreasonable restrictions are another story, but usenet moderators
tend to be pretty reasonable.)  C-news would probably be out by now if
Henry and Geoff didn't feel the need to increase security against bozos.

Wizards seems to be doing pretty well without moderation, unlike many
groups.  The volume is perhaps higher than convienant, but the S/N
is pretty good.

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com