[news.groups] Newsgroups receiving poor propagation, rec.humor.funny, and the REAL top 40

brad@looking.UUCP (10/02/87)

While scanning the recent news readership surveys, I noted that a number of
groups have readership popularity figures that far outstrip their propogation.
These are groups that are either a) recent, b) controversial or c) not fully
propogated due to network losses during their creation.

What prompted this was examination, of course, my own group, "rec.humor.funny"
which only has a propagation figure of 60% in spite of the fact it has existed
for two months.  I note that when I divide readership by propagation, this
group actually ranks third in net popularity. (plug, plug)

I did a further check to see if any other groups were getting good readership,
but poor propagation.

If you are a site administrator, please make sure those groups below, marked
with a "*" are making it to your machine.  (In some cases, for example,
"alt.flame", you may not wish to carry the group no matter how popular it
is amongst readers.)  I have marked a star on those groups whose "share" --
readership on those machines that get the group -- is way out of line with
the actual readership ranking that was posted to news.lists.

    +-- Rank, full net predicted readership

    |     +-- Full net predicted readership (predicted readership / propogation)
    |     |
    |     |      +-- Rank, existing predicted readership
    |     |      |
    |     |      |         +-- Newsgroup
    |     |      |         |
    V     V      V         V

    1	37113 	 1 	 news.announce.conferences
    2	31111 	 3 	 misc.consumers.house
*   3	30000 	 20 	 rec.humor.funny
    4	28571 	 2 	 comp.sources.unix
    5	25842 	 7 	 rec.humor
    6	25806 	 5 	 misc.jobs.offered
    7	25510 	 4 	 comp.sources.misc
    8	23958 	 6 	 comp.sys.ibm.pc
    9	23595 	 9 	 misc.forsale
   10	22727 	 15 	 soc.singles
   11	22222 	 8 	 comp.unix.wizards
   12	21212 	 11 	 comp.sources.d
   13	21212 	 10 	 comp.sources.wanted
   14	20618 	 13 	 comp.lang.c
   15	20618 	 12 	 comp.unix.questions
   16	20202 	 14 	 news.groups
*  17	19583 	 86 	 alt.sources
   18	19387 	 18 	 comp.sources.bugs
   19	19387 	 17 	 comp.sys.mac
   20	19387 	 16 	 comp.sources.games
   21	18750 	 21 	 comp.misc
   22	18367 	 19 	 misc.wanted
   23	17346 	 22 	 sci.med
*  24	17333 	 228 	 alt.flame
   25	16666 	 24 	 comp.graphics
   26	16666 	 23 	 comp.arch
*  27	16562 	 160 	 comp.lang.postscript
   28	16494 	 25 	 comp.newprod
   29	15957 	 28 	 comp.ai
   30	15789 	 27 	 rec.arts.sf-lovers
*  31	15200 	 277 	 alt.cyberpunk
   32	15151 	 29 	 comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
   33	15151 	 26 	 news.misc
   34	15053 	 30 	 misc.jobs.misc
   35	14736 	 33 	 comp.windows.x
*  36	14444 	 196 	 comp.theory
   37	14432 	 35 	 comp.compilers
   38	14432 	 34 	 comp.unix
   39	14432 	 32 	 news.announce.newusers
   40	14285 	 37 	 rec.arts.movies
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (10/09/87)

In article <1002@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
 >While scanning the recent news readership surveys, I noted that a number of
 >groups have readership popularity figures that far outstrip their propogation.
 >These are groups that are either a) recent, b) controversial or c) not fully
 >propogated due to network losses during their creation.

 >What prompted this was examination, of course, my own group, "rec.humor.funny"
 >which only has a propagation figure of 60% in spite of the fact it has existed
 >for two months.  I note that when I divide readership by propagation, this
 >group actually ranks third in net popularity. (plug, plug)

 >I did a further check to see if any other groups were getting good readership,
 >but poor propagation.

Patience, patience. It takes 6 months for any new group to get full
propagation. Always has, always will. I've been taking data for several years,
and haven't seen a single example of a group whose propagation has reached
the 90% mark sooner than 4 or 5 months after its creation. There is no point
in fudging the readership statistics to try to account for a transient
phenomenon. 60% propagation after 2 months is remarkable.  Relax. Everybody
loves your newsgroup, even after the vulgar joke about the different kinds of
tea, and in a few more months you'll see the 95%+ propagation that you
deserve.

Brian