[news.groups] How to read JUNET news?

wlui@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Wayne Lui) (10/02/87)

I've learnt from Wada-san of Nagano University that starting October,
Tokyo University will charge Y170 (~$1.13) per kilobyte of message either
sent to or received from outside of Japan via JUNET -- the Japanese
counterpart of ARPANET. This is a good enough reason to explain why there
aren't that many Japanese speak up on our net, he said. Language barrier,
on the other hand, is also a suspect.

To open up another channel of communication across the Pacific, it would
be a good idea to allow the netters in the U.S. to read the news on JUNET;
and to contribute if possible. The only problem is that at present, the
volume of news articles on JUNET is about 2Mb every week but nobody seems
willing to foot the bill whee transmission fee is Y170/Kb.

Recently, thanks to my friends in Japan, my Macintosh finally speaks Japanese.
The software required include:

	*	KanjiTalk
	*	Fonts for KanjiTalk
	*	Japanese MacWrite
	*	System and Finder
	*	NinjaTerm 1.0
	*	Other misc. programs

With NinjaTerm, KanjiTalk and other utility programs, one should be able
to read the articles on JUNET using the Macintosh. I haven't tried them
out yet. In fact, I'm still looking for ways to read JUNET news in the U.S.
without paying the Y170/Kb fee. Does anybody on the net know who and where
I should turn to? Free lunch anywhere?  :)

okuno@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Hiroshi Okuno) (10/08/87)

Fj.ai (Artificial Intelligence) is avaliable in U.S.A.  If you are
interested in fj.ai, send a message to Nakashima@csli.stanford.edu.
All messages are written in Japanese and I read them by Sumex-modified
MM with Kermit on Japanese PC or KanjiTalk on Mac or by jTeXing it to
Imagen.

There are several routes between JUNET and Internet; icot.jp and etl.jp
are CSNET sites (ntt.jp will be on line soon).  Fj.ai is delivered via
etl.jp.  Some other sites have their own international links.

- Gitchang -
Internet: okuno@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
UUCP:	  ...!Shasta!nttca!okuno

nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) (10/09/87)

In article <11307@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> okuno@Gang-of-Four.UUCP (Hiroshi Okuno) writes:
>Fj.ai (Artificial Intelligence) is avaliable in U.S.A.  If you are
>interested in fj.ai, send a message to Nakashima@csli.stanford.edu.

I got several requests.

One of them are from Carl Hoffman @ Symbolics.  But I cannot
find a path to him.  It seems that symbolics.com is unreachable
from SU.  Does anyone know the path?

--
Hideyuki Nakashima
CSLI and ETL