[news.groups] Hypercard group

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/12/87)

I have a feeling that we're going to need this sooner or later, so I mightr
as well propose it sooner.

Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup? (comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?
either Moderated or unmoderated?

My personal feeling woudl be to start it unmoderated, and run a joining
mailing list (which I'm willing to administrate) on the ARPA side, as
sf-lovers does now. I'd also be willing to moderate the USENET side if
volume proves neccessary, but I think that'd be overkill right now.

Anyway, consider this a formal request. What do the Mac folks think? What
do the powers that be? We're going to need to split the Mac group one of
these minutes due to volume and interest, this seems like a good starting
point.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach					chuq@sun.COM
Editor, OtherRealms					Delphi: CHUQ

Bye bye life!  Bye bye happiness! Hello, loneliness, I think I'm gonna die.

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (10/12/87)

in article <30595@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) says:

> Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup? (comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?
> either Moderated or unmoderated?

I would be very interested in a HyperCard newsgroup.  I agree that it should
be unmoderated, at least at first.  We've done very well in the Mac group
but traffic is getting so heavy that we probably should split it into
several smaller groups.  Perhaps it ought to be one group for HyperCard, one
for other software, another for hardware, and another for crazy rumors (:-) on
the last one only!).

On a related note:

Scholastech, the group for which I run the machine on which I receive news, is
a non-profit group dedicated to providing low cost computing resources for
higher education.  We are developing stackware for distribution to the college
and university market.  If you have a stack and aren't looking for gobs of
money (we've got to keep prices < $30) and that stack has its primary market
in higher ed, consider using us as a distribution medium.  Our catalog, both
public domain and stackware, is going to be distributed as a stack!  We have
a federal grant to help us distribute PD software and will be pegging the
stackware onto that publicity campaign.  We'll be reaching a very wide
audience.   If interested, send me mail.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (10/12/87)

yes, I think it would be justified. I prefer un-mod.
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

stevens@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (10/13/87)

In article <30595@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup?
>(comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?

Definately... However, I would much prefer an unmoderated group.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-8136 |   /   |              E-MAIL:             |
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |              -------             |
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |csnet:       stevens@boulder.csnet|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |uucp:!{hao|nbires}!boulder!stevens|

========
| Curt |
========

socha@drivax.UUCP (Henri J. Socha (7-x6628)) (10/13/87)

In article <30595@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>I have a feeling that we're going to need this sooner or later, so I mightr
>as well propose it sooner.

>Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup? (comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?
>either Moderated or unmoderated?
			^^^^^^^^^  Please (as you say, at first.)

Here's one positive vote. Even if I would be reading both anyways :-)
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (10/14/87)

Yes,  I will go with a hypercard newsgroup.

Unmoderated would be best to start with, maybe if
volume gets out of hand we can moderate it.

I vote it be for talk about Hypercard and NOT
for posting stackware!!!  If we start posting stackware
the traffic will escalate rapidly.  It makes little
sense to post stacks when a simple text document will
do the job.

( So your bitmaps are pretty,  but thats just it,
they are pretty, NOT USEFUL,  please keep them
until I ask for them )

Hey, You can't do that,  You're DEAD     --The living Daylights

Allan Foster                 UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
GEnie  : A.FOSTER                          AppleLink : UG0035
USPS   : 1340 SE 89 Portland OR 97216  Voice : (503) 257-0573
Voice :  (503) 252-1351           CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu

michael@vuecho.psy.vu.nl (Michael Felt) (10/14/87)

Yes. hypercard seems like a good group, but go unmod first.

comp.sys.mac is in need of a split somewhere, and hypercard is a
reasonably well defined topic area. (Posting concerns hypercard or not.)

Other splits at the moment, although attractive to me, as proposed,
miss the topical-clarity to answer the question:
'to include or not to include'.

ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman) (10/15/87)

In article <2546@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, stevens@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) writes:
> In article <30595@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> >Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup?
> >(comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?
>
> Definately... However, I would much prefer an unmoderated group.

I think that comp.sys.mac.hypercard is a good idea. But it will only alleviate
part of the problem, since HyperCard is only a small part of the traffic on
comp.sys.mac. What would make a lot more difference is comp.sys.mac.II. After
all, there's comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt, isn't there? I would wager that if there
aren't more USENETers with Mac II's than with RT's already, there soon will be.

David Ackerman
California Department of Water Resources     ucdavis.edu!caldwr!ack  (Internet)
"It's the water, and a lot more..."       ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!ack  (UUCP)

The opinions expressed are those of the author, not the State of
California or the California Department of Water Resources.

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (10/20/87)

In article <30595@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>I have a feeling that we're going to need this sooner or later, so I mightr
>as well propose it sooner.
>
>Are folks interested in a Hypercard newsgroup? (comp.sys.mac.hypercard)?
>either Moderated or unmoderated?

	[1] comp.sys.mac.hypercard

		or

	[2] comp.lang.hypertalk