[news.groups] APPLE2-L

pem@cadnetix.UUCP (Paul Meyer) (10/28/87)

[]
In article <1754@dicome.UUCP>, Doug Plate says:
> Awhile back, some people started complained that some of these bigger
> files being posted were really a drag for some on the network with
> limited disk space.  SO, APPLE2-L was set up.  Being on uucp, I have
> seen no benefit from this list yet, as apparently, the LISTSERV can't
> send stuff to uucp addresses on request anyway.  Well, the way I see
> it (and this is just my opinion) the messages about how to use LISTSERV
> and various other flames, questions, etc.  concerning the APPLE2-L
> have probably taken up a good deal of disk space themselves!  Maybe
> I'm the only one that feels this way, but I am tired of reading about
> LISTSERV and APPLE2-L (especially when I have not had any luck using
> them).  Perhaps this newsgroup really belongs to bitnet and arpa and
> maybe I should just be quiet, but I liked it when people used to post
> programs here where I could actually get them instead of hearing about
> these great programs that I can't get to...

He was supported in <8710061747.aa16857@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>,
<1802@killer.UUCP>, and <752@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP>.

	Until I got to these articles, I was thinking to myself,
"Well, I guess it's time to unsubscribe to comp.sys.apple.  Ever since
they got the long-awaited file server in a place where it does me no
good at all, all that I see on the newsgroup is 'Subscribe me!' 'Wow,
here's a nifty keen program to do everything anybody ever wanted.  Get
it off the LISTSERV!', and 'Would you ^@^# morons send the right
messages to the right places!'."

	Please, please, please, can we get this stuff off of
comp.sys.apple/info-apple and use this group to talk about apples?
Perhaps someone on the wider net can suggest a way to do this.  (This
is why I have cross-posted to news.groups and included most of the
original article.)  A new newsgroup does not sound reasonable, but
since a good amount of the volume is people subcribing to (or more
properly trying to subscribe to) a mailing list, a mailing list would
be a little recursive.  (*sigh*)

--
pem@cadnetix.UUCP  (nbires!isis!ico!cadnetix!pem)

shankar@srcsip.UUCP (Subash Shankar) (11/01/87)

In article <1005@cadnetix.UUCP> pem@cadnetix.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>[]
>In article <1754@dicome.UUCP>, Doug Plate says:
>> limited disk space.  SO, APPLE2-L was set up.  Being on uucp, I have
>> seen no benefit from this list yet, as apparently, the LISTSERV can't
>> send stuff to uucp addresses on request anyway.
>> [requests for means of accessing programs through uucp]
>He was supported in <8710061747.aa16857@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>,
><1802@killer.UUCP>, and <752@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP>.
>original article.)  A new newsgroup does not sound reasonable, but
I think a new newsgroup (i.e. comp.sys.apple.binaries or whatever) is
reasonable.  Both the Mac and IBM world have binary groups, and there is
certainly enough market for Apple 2 sources, as the last few messages indicate.
That way, sources and the annoying messages about how to get on LISTSERV
wont clog this newsgroup, and those who want sources have ready availability
on UUCP.

Well, if anybodys taking votes, heres one vote for a new newsgroup!

--

Subash Shankar
Honeywell Systems & Research Center

ihnp4!srcsip!shankar

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (11/03/87)

Subash Shankar writes:
> I think a new newsgroup (i.e. comp.sys.apple.binaries or whatever) is
> reasonable.  Both the Mac and IBM world have binary groups, and there is
> certainly enough market for Apple 2 sources, as the last few messages i> Well, if anybodys taking votes, heres one vote for a new newsgroup!

Hmmm,
    I wonder if we should *ask* everyone to vote on this issue; maybe
we can discuss the pros and cons of a comp.binaries.apple2 group
to replace LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET.

    What happens to BITNET people if comp.binaries.apple2 replaces
the LISTSERV?  Would they be unable to get the files?  Would
*everyone* have access to a comp.binaries.apple2 group?

    If and when a comp.binaries.apple2 newsgroup is created how
long do the files remain before systems delete them; are they
aged and then deleted after, for example, 30, 60 or 90 days?

    Is it better to have LISTSERV so that old files can be killed
when they are replaced with new versions, i.e., BLU 2.0 is now
replaced by BLU 2.27 and is this a burden on Christopher Chung,
to have to keep track of which files to keep and which files to
delete?  Should *everyone* sending files to LISTSERV also send
a message addressed to Christopher Chung asking him to delete
the old file which has been replaced by the new version they
are sending?

    Sorry for all these questions, but I don't have the answers
and Chris is running out of disk space.  For example, Kermit
3.78 is still on LISTSERV even though the new Kermit 3.79
              replaces it - should it be deleted?

    With respect to BLU 2.0 - it might be worth keeping it because
BLU 2.27 won't run on an unenhanced ][e, so those users will need
BLU 2.0 to unbunny the BNY files.

    Is it true that we'll need 100 YES votes to get a comp.binaries.
apple2 group?  Who will tally the YES votes?
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (11/06/87)

In article <1879@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>     What happens to BITNET people if comp.binaries.apple2 replaces
> the LISTSERV?  Would they be unable to get the files?  Would
> *everyone* have access to a comp.binaries.apple2 group?

You don't have to replace it.  Just create the comp.binaries group
and gateway the LISTSERV to it (ask Erik Fair (fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu)
how to do this).

>     If and when a comp.binaries.apple2 newsgroup is created how
> long do the files remain before systems delete them; are they
> aged and then deleted after, for example, 30, 60 or 90 days?

Up to the system.  2 weeks is normal.

>     Is it true that we'll need 100 YES votes to get a comp.binaries.
> apple2 group?  Who will tally the YES votes?

This from Len Tower, when I asked about this at one point.  Please do it,
I just haven't had the time.
-------
Kee: you propose the group in news.groups and other relevant groups
with Followup-To: news.groups.  You offer to conduct the vote for it
and ask people to send you the votes.  If you get several hundred
Yeses, you report the results of the vote to news.groups and get a
backbone site to issue the newgroup control message, and arrange with
Eric Fair (aka usenet@ucbvax.berkeley.edu) to gate the group for
BITNET to USENET.

It be wise to get and include the full data on the BITNET list and
server including usage and membership to date.  It would help show
there's a need.
-----

Note that the "100" is probably not absolutely necessary.

                                                -nazgul

--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (11/07/87)

In article <1879@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>Hmmm,
>    I wonder if we should *ask* everyone to vote on this issue; maybe
>we can discuss the pros and cons of a comp.binaries.apple2 group
>to replace LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET.
>
>    What happens to BITNET people if comp.binaries.apple2 replaces
>the LISTSERV?  Would they be unable to get the files?  Would
>*everyone* have access to a comp.binaries.apple2 group?

>--
>Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth

What we really ought to do is form comp.sys.binaries.apple or whatever, and
use listserv for *archives*, just like they do with UNIX archives in
comp.sources.unix etc.  The binaries *should* be moderated, to prevent a
mass of them, and also to manage the archives.  Of course, if we made
listserv the archive, that wouldn't be too much use for us on UUCP, as we
wouldn't be able to get archives.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET