[news.groups] Cross-posting

gam@amdahl.amdahl.com (Gordon A. Moffett) (11/20/87)

In article <398@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:

>I'm not very good at checking the Newsgroups line, but when I happen to
>notice that I'm following up to a cross-posted article, I confine my posting
>to the newsgroup I happen to be reading.  If we all did that, perhaps the
>problem would go away.

For other reasons, I agree with narrowing your follow-up articles
to one newsgroup, if possible.  But read on!

>(When are the net.gods going to produce a version of news that uses symbolic
>links for cross-posted articles?)

They already have!  I just looked in /usr/spool/news/soc/men,
did an ls -lis there, and got this:

 2722    1 -rw-rw-r--   2 netnews  news        3886 Nov  5 14:55 3690
 3444    1 -rw-rw-r--   7 netnews  news        2063 Nov  5 21:54 3691
18709    1 -rw-rw-r--   1 netnews  news        1863 Nov  6 13:05 3692
22107    1 -rw-rw-r--   2 netnews  news        1013 Nov  6 13:51 3693
23675    1 -rw-rw-r--   3 netnews  news        2886 Nov  6 15:27 3694

(and so on ...)

The fourth  column is number of links to that file.  Now look at the
newsgroups of these files:

3690:Newsgroups: soc.motss,soc.men
3691:Newsgroups: talk.abortion,soc.men,soc.singles,soc.women,soc.misc,soc.motss,rec.nude
3692:Newsgroups: soc.men
3693:Newsgroups: soc.women,soc.men
3694:Newsgroups: soc.singles,soc.women,soc.men

Sure enough, the number of newsgroups correspond to the number of
links to the file.

We're running 2.11.12 here, but I think 2.10.3 does this, too.

So I've always ignored the hoopla about "too much cross-posting",
because if you are running the latest software, a cross-posted
article costs you 16 bytes for each additional newsgroup,
the size of an entry in the corresponding directory.

Cross-posting soc.men and soc.women is fine, as sometime the
topic spans both sexes.  And if you want to discuss men's
or women's matters exclusively, choose the appropriate newsgroup.

But don't worry about cross-posting.  I think it is a good
use of the network to cross-post to several newsgroups when
an article spans several topics, but as I said above, I encourage
*follow-ups* to be one or two newgroups, if possible.
Unfortunately cross-posted articles inherit the newsgroup list from the
parent, unless you say differently in the "Followup-To:" line in the
header So remember to edit your "Followup-To:" line!

If cross-posting is causing duplicate articles on your system,
upgrade your software!  (From glancing at the code for 2.11,
there appears to be a simulated "link" for VMS systems.)

Oh, I am directing followups to news.software.b, tho
I leave that to the persons who'll follow up.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@amdahl.amdahl.com
+1 408 746-8287			{ames,sun,uunet,ihnp4}!amdahl!gam