[news.groups] NEW GROUP - comp.sys.coco

EWTILENI@pucc.UUCP (11/21/87)

The following argument was brought up again that instead of creating
a new group for the Tandy Color Computers (comp.sys.tandy.coco), we
RENAME comp.sys.m6809 (which gets practically 0 non-CoCo related talk)
to comp.sys.tandy.coco.  I feel this is a good idea, and am restating
Jim's article and adding my own comments.  How can we rename a group,
though?  And do we have to vote on it.  My vote is that the renaming
Jim described is preferable to starting a new group, but if that fails,
I'm still for creating the new group...

In article <2210@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I've said this before via private mail, but I think that
>it bears repeating in public.  The only argument raised against
>changing comp.sys.6809 to comp.sys.coco is that 6809 non-coco
>users would be displaced.  I don't think there are many
>6809 users who are not coco users, who are not interested in
>the 68000 family as well.  As such I think it would be worth
>it to collapse the m6809 and m68k groups into one group called
>'comp.sys.m68' to handle the traffic for all Motorola family
>processors.  Likewise, there not having been much in the way
>of 6809 postings outside the CoCo topic range in the current
>6809 group, I'm sure the 68000 users could put up with the
>"overflow".
>
>     The only argument against this would be if there were
>a substantial number of 6809 users, not interested in the CoCo
>*and* not interested in the 68000 family of processors.  Would
>those people kindly raise their hands?

I absolutely agree!  I would be happy NOT to create another newsgroup,
and to simply SWITCH the name of comp.sys.m6809 to comp.sys.tandy.coco.
This would allow broader discussion, and invite people who were scared
by the technical name (or who didn't know that their Color Computer
used a 6809!) to participate in the discussion.

comp.sys.m68 would also be fine with me.

Can we rename the newsgroups, though?  That was my original proposal.
Who has authority to do this?  I have many votes for the creation of
comp.sys.tandy.coco, but I would rather just rename comp.sys.m6809
to comp.sys.tandy.coco!  If this can be done, how do we go about it?

Votes or feedback on this topic are welcome by email, too.

- ERIC -             * Another proud CoCo 3 user *        ______________
                                                         |              |
BITNET:ewtileni@pucc | ARPA:ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU  | ColorVenture |
CompuServe: 70346,16 | MCI Mail and/or Delphi: TILENIUS  |______________|
PHONE :609-734-0092  | UUCP:{rutgers,cbosgd,cmcl2}!psuvax1!pucc.BITNET!ewtileni

steve@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (11/30/87)

In article <3891@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Eric Tilenius) writes:

> comp.sys.m68 would also be fine with me.
>
> Can we rename the newsgroups, though?  That was my original proposal. ....
> to comp.sys.tandy.coco!  If this can be done, how do we go about it?
I think the thing to do would be to (in order)
 -  Creat comp.sys.coco
 - ask people to alias comp.sys.6809 to comp.sys.coco
 - kill comp.sys.6809 once the volume drops enough.
--
 Stephen Samuel