[news.groups] Proposal for addition to new versions of the news software.

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/16/87)

I'm sure this idea must have been proposed before, but since I have not
read anything, I'll propose it again:

The facility of the news software that allows cross-posting is great.  Too
great.  Let's face it... some groups just don't have anything to say to
each other.  Or perhaps that's "should not say anything to each other".

The suggestion is a centrally controlled "barrier" system to disable
cross-posting for hostile groups.  Feasibility studies will, of course, be
left up to those in a position to implement it.

Some initial barriers I suggest are:

(alt.flame vs. -anything else-)
(rec.audio vs. sci.electronics)
(comp.sys.amiga vs. comp.sys.atari.st)
(talk.* vs. -anything not in talk-)

In the rare cases where an "illegal" cross-post would actually be
appropriate, the net will need to absorb the burden of two messages.  This
will probably be insignificant compared to the savings (can you say "Mercury
filled speaker cables"?).

        So, how about it?

** I apologize if this message was cross-posted inappropriately :-|.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")	Hoser is in danger... try "cogsci" if it fails.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (12/17/87)

In article <22198@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
> Some initial barriers I suggest are:
>
> (alt.flame vs. -anything else-)
> (rec.audio vs. sci.electronics)
> (comp.sys.amiga vs. comp.sys.atari.st)
> (talk.* vs. -anything not in talk-)

This is absolutely silly.  Crossposting to alt.flame (and redirection
of followups to same) is the only decent way to handle the flammage that
ideas such as the above inevitably generate.

----- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/18/87)

I like the idea of 'barriers' but thing they should be advisory, so
the posting software will ask them if they really want to cross post
to these groups.

A suggestion I've made in the past for rn/vn/vnews/readnews/notes/etc
is to make replies and followups do the same thing at first, and once
the user has finished the message, THEN ask "Reply, Broadcast or
Both?"  with default to Reply.  It gives the user a chance to cool
down, and if they choose Both, the flame will get to the user via
email first (usually), which will have the effect of putting the
argument into email.  Also, "Broadcast" is better than "Followup"
since it connotes a very wide distribution.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a