[news.groups] comp.binaries.ibm.pc and moderation: ATTN SYSADMINS!

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/08/87)

Well, comp.binaries.ibm.pc now has a new moderator and all is right with the
world.  Right?

WRONG.  I just received PC-Moria in my mailbox, courtesy some sites' mailpaths
files.  It looks like I've gotten multiple copies, as well.

Please, sysadmins!  Please try to keep up to date with newsgroup changes -- I
don't know what's going to happen to this submission, I guess I'll have to
try to hold it in ncoast's nonexistent free disk space until I find out if
it ever went where it was supposed to.  Or until I find out where it was
SUPPOSED to go.

In the meantime, will the sites which reroute moderated newsgroups PLEASE
try to keep your "mailpaths" files in sync with reality -- no matter *what*, I
SHOULD NOT HAVE RECEIVED THESE POSTINGS.
--
Brandon S. Allbery		      necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (12/10/87)

In <6366@ncoast.UUCP> Brandon Allbery complains about "backbone" sites not
keeping their mail aliases current with reality. killer is one of the sites
that provides these aliases and I think that I probably speak for most such
sites when I say that we depend of Gene Spafford to keep us informed of
changes to the aliases. This is one of the things he does, along with the
news.announce.newusers articles we all know and love. I was not aware that a
moderator had been decided on until I just read your article, Brandon.
Gene may have mailed out updates, but I haven't gotten them yet. So please,
just calm down a little. It takes a few days for changes on this network to
take place. Okay? Now then, if you'll tell me the address of the new moderator
I will be happy to replace the comp-binaries-ibm-pc address. But, then again,
by that time Gene might have set things aright already.
--
Bill Wisner, HASA "A" Division		..{codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw
"This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with great

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (12/13/87)

In article <2397@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
 > In <6366@ncoast.UUCP> Brandon Allbery complains about "backbone" sites not
 > keeping their mail aliases current with reality. killer is one of the sites
 > that provides these aliases and I think that I probably speak for most such
 > sites when I say that we depend of Gene Spafford to keep us informed of
 > changes to the aliases. This is one of the things he does, along with the
 > news.announce.newusers articles we all know and love. I was not aware that a
 > moderator had been decided on until I just read your article, Brandon.

I also did not know that a moderator had been selected.  In fact, if
there *is* a new moderator, I don't have a name or submission address
to use to update my files.  I can't send out a corrected update until
I receive that information, and nobody has bothered to send me any
such info.  If it was posted somewhere, I didn't see it.

If there is a change of moderators, a change of address, or changes
in mailing lists, please *mail* me the info so I can keep the
postings up-to-date!  Thanks.
--
Gene Spafford
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (12/23/87)

In article <2397@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>In <6366@ncoast.UUCP> Brandon Allbery complains about "backbone" sites not
>keeping their mail aliases current with reality.

Maybe the thing to do is to have another type of control message which
will look in the "mailpaths" file for a specified moderated group and
if present (or if present with the old moderator's name) send mail to
"news" on that system stating that the moderators path has been changed.

				Bill McGarry
				Moderator of misc.handicap
				Bunker Ramo, Shelton, CT
				(203) 337-1518

     PATH:  {philabs, decvax, fortune, yale}!bunker!wtm

billw@killer.UUCP (Pope Bill I) (12/25/87)

In article <3134@bunker.UUCP> wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) writes:
>Maybe the thing to do is to have another type of control message which
>will look in the "mailpaths" file for a specified moderated group and
>if present (or if present with the old moderator's name) send mail to
>"news" on that system stating that the moderators path has been changed.

Not that simple. Mailpaths is generally used only for paths to a backbone and
an internet-parsing site. I have never had a chance to experiment with
moderator names being placed in mailpaths, but to the best of my knoledge
when that is done they moderator paths are only used for articles originating
locally.

The sites that provide the backbone mail-forwarding service for moderated
groups keep a set of mail aliases, one for each moderator. On killer, the
aliases all go into /usr/lib/mail/aliases. On most other systems, they
are in /usr/lib/aliases. I am sure there are a few oddball systems around
that have them somewhere else entirely. Such a feature would take a fair
amount of twiddling.
--
Bill Wisner / billw@killer.UUCP / ..{codas,cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!billw
Sorry / No witty quotation today.