[news.groups] Another vote for comp.cog-sci

msellers@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Sellers) (01/19/88)

In article <4215@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
> I'm hoping, eventually, for a sci.cognitive or comp.cog.sci somewhere,
> somewhen, somehow.  Apparently, a lot of people were upset about misuse of
> comp.cog-eng, since it's supposed to be about cognitive factors engineering,
> (ie. human factors topics), but people have continued to "misuse" it again.
> Considering the kinds of material mentioned, should such a newsgroup have
> "cognitive" somewhere in the title? (ie. "cog")]
>
> A separate vote for sci.cog-sci?
>
> Timothy J Horton (416) 979-3109   tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)

Yes, definitely.  This subject is gaining in popularity, though many of the
sub-groups of people involved (computer scientists, psychologists,
neurologists, anthropologists, linguists, etc.) only know their area and
don't seem to know much about what the others are doing or thinking.  This
field is in such a state of flux that it is difficult to keep up with much
of what is going on.  A forum for discussion of issues, ideas, theories,
questions, research, and happenings related to Cognitive Science would be
a welcome and useful addition to the net (sorry, I can't moderate a group
or list, however :-7 ).  Any other votes?

--
Mike Sellers                ...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers
Mentor Graphics Corp., Electronic Packaging and Analysis Division

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (01/20/88)

There is already a "comp.cog-eng" for cognitive science and engineering.
Why don't you use the groups already in existence rather than
ask for a new one?

This is an example of why we want to limit the number of newsgroups:
users don't realize what groups already exist when there are so many.
--
Gene Spafford
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004

subraman@udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (01/20/88)

In article <1988Jan18.190755.220@mntgfx.mentor.com> msellers@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Sellers) writes:

>of what is going on.  A forum for discussion of issues, ideas, theories,
>questions, research, and happenings related to Cognitive Science would be
>a welcome and useful addition to the net (sorry, I can't moderate a group
>or list, however :-7 ).  Any other votes?

Here is my vote for the creation of cog.sci group.

Baskaran Subramaniam.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (01/20/88)

In article <2990@arthur.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:
> There is already a "comp.cog-eng" for cognitive science and engineering.
> Why don't you use the groups already in existence rather than
> ask for a new one?
>
> This is an example of why we want to limit the number of newsgroups:
> users don't realize what groups already exist when there are so many.

Not a very good example.  The message 4215@utai to which you refer indicates
that the readers of comp.cog-eng have already rejected the conversation
that the new news group wishes to collect.  Perhaps a better description
of the group is in order, since apparently they view themselves as human
factors people in a narrower sense than you read the name.  What this really
indicates is that news groups are more clubs than library categories
and, in general, take greatly varying views of their own scope.  Of
course, this is hard to keep track of from a one line description that
is seldom consulted by the actual group members.  Indeed, in many groups,
there is not even much consensus on just what they are there for (resulting
in random flammage on such things as the degree of technical training
expected of a poster to a technical group).

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

zwicky@ptero.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (01/21/88)

In article <2990@arthur.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@uther.cs.purdue.edu.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>There is already a "comp.cog-eng" for cognitive science and engineering.
>Why don't you use the groups already in existence rather than
>ask for a new one?
>Gene Spafford

Umm - you might want to check again. comp.cog-eng is *NOT* a cognitive
science group, but a human factors group, cognitive engineering being
another term for human factors.

People make that mistake a lot; probably don't deal with Library
of Congress headings much.

	Elizabeth

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (01/21/88)

In article <2990@arthur.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@uther.cs.purdue.edu.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>There is already a "comp.cog-eng" for cognitive science and engineering.
>Why don't you use the groups already in existence rather than
>ask for a new one?

Although many articles about cog SCIENCE do appear on comp.cog-eng, for
want of a better place, and although there is SOME overlap (witness Don
Norman's work, e.g.), nevertheless cog SCIENCE <> cog ENGINEERING.

					William J. Rapaport
					Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

msellers@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Sellers) (01/21/88)

In article <2990@arthur.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:
> There is already a "comp.cog-eng" for cognitive science and engineering.
> Why don't you use the groups already in existence rather than
> ask for a new one?
>
> This is an example of why we want to limit the number of newsgroups:
> users don't realize what groups already exist when there are so many.
> --
> Gene Spafford

Sorry Gene, but in this case I realize quite well what groups exist that
might be a good home for cognitive science discussions.  Comp.cog-eng is
described as being the home for discussions on "cognitive engineering",
which many people take to be the same as "human factors" or ergonomics.
This is very different from the broad-based synthetic discussions that
tend to occur when "cognitive science" is the topic.

Comp.ai and comp.cog-eng have both been used to some degree in the past for
cognitive science discussions.  In both cases someone almost always posts
or e-mails a message requesting that the cognitive science folks please stop
diluting the discussion.  Thus the call for a separate group.

I would like a newsgroup where discussions regarding cognitive science could
be fostered; using comp.cog-eng is fine with me, but other people may disagree.
In general, I think a definition of 'cognitive engineering' is drifting away
from ergnomics and toward the operational parts of cognitive science -- more
actions and less theory.  This may be a result of cognitive science enfolding
those parts of ergonomics that deal with intelligent HCI into itself; at any
rate, that's my rationale for using comp.cog-eng for this purpose.  Though
its a bit like using [mythical] comp.expert-systems for general AI discussions.

Any other votes?

--
Mike Sellers                ...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers
Mentor Graphics Corp., Electronic Packaging and Analysis Division
"The goal of AI is to take the meaningful and make it meaningless."
                                  -- An AI prof, referring to LISP

subraman@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ramesh Subramanian) (01/22/88)

Here's my vote for the creation of a Cognitive Science newsgroup.

Ramesh Subramanian
Email (UUCP): ...!rutgers!andromeda!subraman
Voice : (201) 565-9290
USmail: 101 Bleeker St. Box#85
        Newark, NJ 07102.

joglekar@riacs.edu (Umesh D. Joglekar) (01/23/88)

	.... I for one,  miss Steven Harnad's frequent postings.
	A cognitive Science Newsgroup would provide an appropriate forum
	for such postings which were voted out from this newsgroup sometime back.

 Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science    ARPA: joglekar@riacs.edu
 MS 230-5, NASA Ames Research Center,                UUCP: ..ames!riacs!joglekar
 Moffett Field, Ca 94305                                  (415)  694-6921

In article <716@hydra.riacs.edu> joglekar@hydra.riacs.edu.UUCP (Umesh D. Joglekar) writes:

>	.... I for one,  miss Steven Harnad's frequent postings.
>	A cognitive Science Newsgroup would provide an appropriate forum
>	for such postings which were voted out from this newsgroup sometime back.

	Oops! I should have edited out everything except comp.ai and comp.cog-eng
	from the Newsgroups field. Sorry about that.

		Umesh D. Joglekar