[news.groups] Forged newgroup message for comp.sys.mac.programmer

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (01/24/88)

I just discovered that somebody has forged a newgroup message for
comp.sys.mac.programmer.  In fact, they forged it as being from me,
from here. (A copy is enclosed at the end.)

I have posted a cancel for the control message, and I have also posted
a rmgroup message.  I'm not against the group but I am rather dismayed
that some gutless wonder feels the necessity to forge a control message
from me while the voting for the group is still going on.  We have a
mostly reasonable procedure in place to help regulate newgroup creation
in the mainstream Usenet, and I think we should support that whenever
possible.

This is not going to get the group created and propagated throughout
the entire net.  In fact, it may actually provoke a negative reaction
to actually creating the group.  So, to the jerk who pulled this little
stunt, let me suggest that you cool it before you create too much more
"bad press" in the wrong places.

The forged article:

--
Gene Spafford
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004