[news.groups] Splitting comp.sys.mac

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/08/88)

	A few months ago there was some talk of splitting comp.sys.mac into
several smaller groups, with a plethora of suggestions for just what those
groups should be.  What ever happened to that idea?  Comp.sys.mac seems to
be running 20 or more articles every day; today I got 55!, and that's with
the mid-winter lull while all the college folks are on vacation.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

jmm@thoth8.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (01/13/88)

Seems like adding a comp.sys.mac.programmer group might solve
the problem.

James Moore
-------------------------	|
/ Go raibh sonas agus	/    	|  jmm@bartleby.berkeley.edu
/ rath oraibh an	/	|--------------------------------------------|
/ Nollaig agus san	/	|   The University of California only knows  |
/ Athbhliain!		/	|   me as a number.  They couldn't care less |
/ 			/	|   what my opinions are.                    |
-------------------------	|--------------------------------------------|

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/13/88)

>Seems like adding a comp.sys.mac.programmer group might solve
>the problem.

I might point out that when we went through the hassle of getting
comp.sys.mac.hypercard created, I also tried to get some other groups
created, but the powers that be decided to stop at the hypercard group and
see whether other groups are needed. I think it's clear that my original
suggestion was sound and IS needed, and we should stop futzing around and
figure out how to do it. I think comp.sys.mac.programmer would be a great
start.

I also think we need to reconsider comp.binaries.mac.hypercard, since we're
now seeing 6-8 WEEK delays in getting stuff through comp.binaries.mac. That
group is seriously overloaded and needs some help.

chuq (do we have to fight this fight again? mutter. I hate saying I told you so)

Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach		chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (01/14/88)

In article <38691@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Seems like adding a comp.sys.mac.programmer group might solve
>>the problem.
>
>I might point out that when we went through the hassle of getting
>comp.sys.mac.hypercard created, I also tried to get some other groups
>created, but the powers that be decided to stop at the hypercard group and
>see whether other groups are needed. I think it's clear that my original
>suggestion was sound and IS needed, and we should stop futzing around and
>figure out how to do it. I think comp.sys.mac.programmer would be a great
>start.
>
>I also think we need to reconsider comp.binaries.mac.hypercard, since we're
>now seeing 6-8 WEEK delays in getting stuff through comp.binaries.mac. That
>group is seriously overloaded and needs some help.
>
>chuq (do we have to fight this fight again? mutter. I hate saying I told you so)

Then don't say it because I'm not convinced you have the right.

First off, this splitting of the newsgroup stuff is going to end up
being a waste of time.  Anyone who subscribes to
comp.sys.mac.hypercard wil notice that there haven't been more than 10
postings a day and usually much fewer.  Perhaps, if people wanted to
put stacks up, there would be a good place to do it quickly. (Frig the
protocol.)

Secondly, I like the idea of having one newsgroup that I can get
everything on.  Admittedly, if the volume gets too high, we may have
to split, but now I doubt that is a problem.

Lastly, the slowness is a double-edged sword.  It is solely because
there is a moderator, but it is the extra steps he goes through that
guarantees we have quality postings instead of the crap that
cheeseheads would be posting constantly without moderation.  If you
want something up quickly, put it on Info-Mac and tell people you did
this with a posting here.

Just my two sense :^).

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) (01/15/88)

To follow this with an important word:

YES ( please do it ) !

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/15/88)

>First off, this splitting of the newsgroup stuff is going to end up
>being a waste of time.  Anyone who subscribes to
>comp.sys.mac.hypercard wil notice that there haven't been more than 10
>postings a day and usually much fewer.  Perhaps, if people wanted to
>put stacks up, there would be a good place to do it quickly. (Frig the
>protocol.)

You ignore the fact that comp.sys.mac.hypercard is gatewayed into a similar
list in ARPAland, which simply would be impossible without a separate group.
Or that It is gatewayed up to Delphi. And, based on my digesting the stuff,
it's running about 60-70K a week, which is pretty good. They gave
net.wobegon a group and it was lucky to hit 50 messages a year.

>Secondly, I like the idea of having one newsgroup that I can get
>everything on.  Admittedly, if the volume gets too high, we may have
>to split, but now I doubt that is a problem.

You're in the minority then. Most people I've talked to would prefer having
specific subjects split out, to make it easier to read things. Even with rn,
it becomes a pain to plow through 75 messages a day.

chuq

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (01/16/88)

Well, here's ANOTHER vote for the breakup into comp.sys.mac/comp.sys.mac.programmer. I hate reading all that LSC/LSP/Toolbox stuff!
----Sascha

--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!

gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) (01/17/88)

In article <38967@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> it's running about 60-70K a week, which is pretty good. They gave
> net.wobegon a group and it was lucky to hit 50 messages a year.

This is probably the silliest example I've seen used in a while.  I
guess that Chuq forgot that net.wobegon was created, what, some five
years ago.  Really a relevant point.  The net was much smaller, the
number of existing newsgroups was much smaller, and the number of
newsgroup creation rules was close to, if not equal to, zero.

Should we chalk this fatuous argument up to desperation, Chuq?

--
Greg Paris  gmp@rayssd.ray.com  {cbosgd,decuac,gatech,ihnp4,uiucdcs}!rayssd!gmp
	Is our geological destiny to be a thin black line in a cliff,

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/17/88)

>Should we chalk this fatuous argument up to desperation, Chuq?

No, just my hopeless fascination with keeping running jokes running.

chuq (nuke wobegon! nuke wobegon! jeez, no sense of humor...)

paul@spock.UUCP (Paul Parry) (01/18/88)

In article <2581@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:

>Well, here's ANOTHER vote for the breakup into comp.sys.mac/comp.sys.mac.programmer. I hate reading all that LSC/LSP/Toolbox stuff!
>----Sascha

And another one.  I was out sick for two days and found 341 messages
upon my return, most of which pertaining to Mac II's and Hypercard,
neither of which do I have.  How about comp.sys.mac.novices?

UUCP:		{decvax,harvard,cmcl2}!yale!spock!paul
USPS:		Paul Parry
		Choate Rosemary Hall
		PO Box 788
		Wallingford, CT 06492
SNET,9x:	(203) 284-5470

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) (01/18/88)

I vote we split the newsgroup.

--
        Lawrence A. Dziegielewski       |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        {uunet!dgis!psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad |       Engineering Physics Lab

asjoshi@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Amit S. Joshi) (01/20/88)

In article <231@spock.UUCP> paul@spock.UUCP (Paul Parry) writes:
>In article <2581@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:
>>
>>Well, here's ANOTHER vote for the breakup into comp.sys.mac/comp.sys.mac.programmer. I hate reading all that LSC/LSP/Toolbox stuff!
>>----Sascha

Here's my vote for it. YES split it up.

--
Amit Joshi	BITNET	|	Q3696@PUCC.BITNET
		USENET	| {seismo, rutgers}\!princeton\!phoenix\!asjoshi

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (01/28/88)

Pacman's revenge.....

Definitely yes!

Jonathan Shapiro
The Committee for the Preservation of 'n' Keys.