[news.groups] ARRRRRRGH

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (01/29/88)

[ The article to which I'm replying was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, but
  I'm replying here ]

In article <285@tifsie.UUCP> john@tifsie.UUCP (John Maline) writes:
>PLEASE people!
>It isn't five days since an appeal went out to use comp.BINARIES.ibm.pc
>for the posting of BINARIES.
>If you want to request things or comment on postings, I think it's a safe
>bet that those reading comp.binaries.ibm.pc also read comp.sys.ibm.pc.

   I agree 100% with you. What the heck happened to the moderator of that
group, anyway!?!? Can we please get this thing settled once and for all?
Or at least could someone somewhere in the backbone tell us what is going
on?
   For now it would be a good idea for everyone to include the line
/wanted/a:j
in their kill files for comp.binaries.ibm.pc. At least that way maybe some
of these folks will start getting the message when nobody ever replies to
their want ads.
   Another idea: maybe whenever someone posts something like that to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, everyone should reply to that person just to tell him
that no, we don't have that program, or no, we don't know anything about
the question he just asked. :-)
   Yet Another Idea (YAI): When posting binaries to the group, maybe whoever
posts them could include a note telling where to follow-up to, or even
better, include a follow-up line in the message header so that follow-ups
automatically go to comp.sys.ibm.pc (which seems to be the most correct
group for most of this stuff, unless you include comp.dev.null :-) ).
Just a few thoughts so that I don't have to start creating kill files for
binary and sources groups.

Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu, ...iuvax!silver!creps, creps@iubacs.bitnet
"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."