[news.groups] Mailing list announcement

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (01/31/88)

As of a few days ago, I am running a public mailing list for the purpose of
sending articles from the unix-pc News network to people who cannot get the
unix-pc groups.  Send mail to me if you wish to be included on this list.

As with any mailing list, if the readership gets high enough, Something
Will Have To Be Done.  In the case of this list, the specific proposal is
to gateway the unix-pc groups into comp.sys.att.  If you're interested in
seeing this done, join the list; help me get the readership count high
enough.

         \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (01/31/88)

In article <403@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>sending articles from the unix-pc News network to people who cannot get the
>unix-pc groups.  Send mail to me if you wish to be included on this list.
>
>As with any mailing list, if the readership gets high enough, Something
>Will Have To Be Done.  In the case of this list, the specific proposal is
>to gateway the unix-pc groups into comp.sys.att.  If you're interested in
>seeing this done, join the list; help me get the readership count high
>enough.

Actually - sorry and no offense intended - this strikes me as funny ...
because part of the original networking of the unix-pc groups included
sending news as mail to people who couldn't otherwise get directly
connected ...   In other words, that's always been a possibility.

It's easy enough to do - an entry in a sys file.  I would also be
happy to send the groups as mail - but only in the interest of getting
the information out to people who need it, NOT in the interest of adding
numbers to a mailing list.  Sending the groups as mail, as I see it,
takes care of the Something Having to Be Done because, if the purpose
is to get the information to people, it will have been gotten to people.
What further purpose does "gatewaying" (that nasty nonverb again)
the groups into comp.sys.att serve?

And I have yet to understand what gatewaying (...) does that cross-posting
doesn't.  Someone, please explain that to me.  In public - maybe I'm not
the only one who doesn't understand it.

Kathy Vincent ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy
              ------>  { favourite AT&T gateway }!wruxe!unix

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (02/01/88)

> And I have yet to understand what gatewaying (...) does that cross-posting
> doesn't.  Someone, please explain that to me.  In public - maybe I'm not
> the only one who doesn't understand it.

Gatewaying would be automatic.  Not something that everyone would have to
remember to do every time they post.

Cross-posting would be a special requirement of these groups shared by no
others.  The special cross-posting requirement would have to be continually
re-announced so that newcomers wouldn't miss out.

Why require special handling from everyone involved rather than making
things automatic?

No one is suggesting that the unix-pc groups be abolished, just that
they be better connected.  In a clean, convenient, proven way.

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/02/88)

In article <3834@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>No one is suggesting that the unix-pc groups be abolished, just that
>they be better connected.  In a clean, convenient, proven way.

Please don't imply that there is something unclean, or unproven
about the way the unix-pc newsgroups are connected.

The unix-pc newsgroups has a calm, no-flames flavor that mainstream
Usenet does not have.  (Else all the backbones would be carrying
them:-)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi