[news.groups] Individualistic philosophy/politics

orion@nuchat.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley) (02/23/88)

In article <374@obdient.UUCP>, blair@obdient.UUCP (Doug Blair) writes:
> In article <660@nuchat.UUCP>, orion@nuchat.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley) writes:
> >
> >   I'd like to propose the formation of a new newsgroup devoted to
> > Individualistic philosophy and politics, the name of this proposed
> > newsgroup would be talk.individualism,  it would be moderated, and
> > I would volunteer my services as moderator.
>
> OK, I assume that I'm missing a point here.  How on earth can you
> propose that discussion of *individualism* can be *moderated*?  Any
> moderation of such a forum obviously bends the discussion according
> to the whims of the moderater.  (Note that we *do* have some wonderful
> exceptions to this, such as the risks digest, which is more factual than
> philosophical in nature.)  How thoughtful of you to volunteer :-).
No, actually, I wasn't going to limit posting except in one way:
obvious flames would have alt.flame added to the Newsgroups: line on
the first go-around, and after that if the flamage continued, and was
not in any way informative, further flames would be redirected to alt.flame
hopefully that would prevent the discussion from degrading to a round of
name calling with very little information being passed.  I thought it
would be self-evident that that was the cause of the proposed moderation.
if there are others who are opposed to this newsgroup purely on the grounds
of moderation, please be known, If that is all that's in the way of this
group being formed, i'll drop that from the proposal.  Or maybe, I'll just
create it as an alt. newsgroup if the vote fails :-) :-) ;^>
Anyway, he goes on to say:

> Perhaps a more accurate posting might be:
            ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^                   in your opinion, maybe.

> "I'd like to propose formation of a new newsgroup devoted to
> Roland Dunkerly's philosophy and politics, the name of this proposed
> newsgroup would be talk.dunkerley, it would be moderated, and
> I would volunteer my services as moderator."
Listen,  you are obviously a spamhead(1), if i would have wanted talk.dunkerley
I would've asked for it, actually i'd be more likely to ask for the creation
of a talk.orion - the official positions of Orion Technology, LTD. about
various issues :-).  Again, this is obviously now what I said, it's not what
I meant, what are you, a statist or something?

> Now that we all know what Roland wants, I'm sure we can discuss it. ;-)
WRONG!
Actually, there you go assuming that because YOU are a statist, I am too...
You obviously don't know what i want.

> Doug Blair

Disclaimer: If you don't like what I say, then sue me.
--
    Roland [trapped between a left and a right brace] Dunkerley III, K.S.C.
    Hail Eris!   All Hail Discordia!