[news.groups] comp.org.usrgroup

rich@bergy.UUCP (Bergstedt) (02/14/88)

Has anyone ever asked about starting a newsgroup for
/usr/group members?

Please respond by e-mail and I'll summarize the comments.

This is not an official request - just a query to see what
you all think of this.

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) (02/18/88)

After returning from UniForum, I was going to ask the same question.

I was disapointed to discover that /usr/group doesn't
participate (or the person I talked to from /usr/group
CLAIMED they didn't) in UseNet.  Anybody out there
know otherwise?

--
Ray E. Saddler III       |   Path: ..!ssc-vax!ray3rd    |    __  __ __       __
Boeing Aerospace Company |  From: ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP   |   / / / //   //| //

wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (02/20/88)

Some people, it seems, need to pay closer attention to news.announce.newusers.
There is now a subnet called usrgroup; it currently has about nine newsgroups.
mit-eddie gets this distribution; any of eddie's neighbors can probably
get it. I'm not the one to ask about that. For the scoop, check out
Gene Spafford's "Alternative Newsgroup Heirarchies" posting.

..bill

orion@nuchat.UUCP (Roland Dunkerley) (02/21/88)

In article <1681@ssc-vax.UUCP>, ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) writes:
> After returning from UniForum, I was going to ask the same question.
>
> I was disapointed to discover that /usr/group doesn't
> participate (or the person I talked to from /usr/group
> CLAIMED they didn't) in UseNet.  Anybody out there
> know otherwise?

   Well, to my knowledge, the answer is yes, and no.  Yes there are
Newsgroups devoted to /usr/group, and no, they aren't part of the
mainstream UseNet.  A quick fgrep of my .newsrc reveals the following
newsgroups:
usrgroup.technical:
usrgroup.supercom:
usrgroup.graphics:
usrgroup.security:
usrgroup.distfile:
usrgroup.internat:
usrgroup.netinter:
usrgroup.perfmeas:
usrgroup.realtime:

   If these newsgroups aren't in actuality related to usrgroup, I am
sure that someone will correct me.

> --
> Ray E. Saddler III       |   Path: ..!ssc-vax!ray3rd    |    __  __ __       __
> Boeing Aerospace Company |  From: ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP   |   / / / //   //| //
> P.O. Box 3999 m.s. 3R-05 |------------------------------|  /-< / //-  // |// _
> Seattle, Wa.  98124  USA |  VoiceNet: (206) 657-2824    | /__//_//__ //  //__/

Oh, and by the way VOTE FOR talk.individualism NOW!  We need your support!
Flames Invited!   Indecent Proposals Entertained!
Remember: Wherever you go, there you are! - Buckaroo Banzai
--
    Roland [trapped between a left and a right brace] Dunkerley III, K.S.C.
    Hail Eris!   All Hail Discordia!

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (02/25/88)

In article <8203@eddie.MIT.EDU>, wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> Some people, it seems, need to pay closer attention to news.announce.newusers.
> There is now a subnet called usrgroup; it currently has about nine newsgroups.
> mit-eddie gets this distribution; any of eddie's neighbors can probably
> get it. I'm not the one to ask about that. For the scoop, check out
> Gene Spafford's "Alternative Newsgroup Heirarchies" posting.
Some people it seems need to pay more attention to news.groups :-) the
usrgroup altnet has never really taken off (I've been on it three
months and only recieved one set of postings). The usrgroup people
have decided they would like to dump this structure and start a
comp.org.usrgroup group in the regular distribution instead. They have
petitioned for permission to do so in news.groups and peter@ontmoh.UUCP
is collecting votes now.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623