[news.groups] support for COMP.SYS.MAC2 and opposition to COMP.UNIX.AUX

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/22/88)

	support for COMP.SYS.MAC2 and opposition to COMP.UNIX.AUX

several different group names have been mentioned to find a home for articles
related to the Macintosh-][ and I am rather opinionated on the choice of
group-names, because they can make my life a lot harder or easier, depending...

I'll try to put my thoughts into the form of questions and answers and explain
why I think that creating a group named COMP.SYS.MAC2 is a good idea, whereas
a group named COMP.UNIX.AUX is a bad one:

1) do we need to split off a group dedicated to the Mac2 from comp.sys.mac?

	yes, because the machine is significantly different from the Mac and
	the number of articles addressing topics of exclusive interest to
	Mac2-users has reached a very high level.  Also, the level of traffic
	in comp.sys.mac is so high that splitting it is of immediate urgency.

2) what should be the name for a group addressing the mac2?

	The Mac2-group should not be a sub-group of comp.sys.mac (i.e. be
	named comp.sys.mac.mac2) because the Mac2 is architecturally and
	conceptually a different machine which only, incidentally, runs some
	"MACish" software, and is likely to split into subgroups itself within
	the coming year.  thus a group named COMP.SYS.MAC2 is the obvious
	choice.

3) should there be a group for the topic of A/UX ?

	yes, but I do not think that this is an alternative idea to the creation
	of a group for the Mac2, in general.  At this time, I believe that
	the A/UX topic is best discussed in a group COMP.SYS.MAC2 and when the
	traffic justifies, that a subgroup COMP.SYS.MAC2.AUX be created.

4) what's wrong with a group named COMP.UNIX.AUX?

	the way I understand it, the group-naming hierarchy represents a
	a logical way of subdividing topics of common interest. Now, it is
	my perception that A/UX is mostly of interest to MAC2 users and
	should therefore be discussed in a group created for the MAC2 or
	a sub-group thereof;  On the other hand, it is likely that there
	is not very much interest in A/UX by the traditional reader of
	UNIX-groups, unless s/he is a (prospective) MAC2-user, of course.

	Personally, I would like the continued convenience of being able to
	follow all topics of interest by using the command:

		readnews -n comp.sys.mac2

	as this will also present to me all the subgroups to be created
	later (for sure) ....  (the only reason that the binaries and sources
	groups do not follow this scheme is to make it easier for sites to
	unsubscribe to all sources and binaries group - while carrying all
	comp.sys.mac groups)
	at the same time, I look forward to being
	able to ignore all Mac2-related articles with a simple:

		readnews -n comp.sys.mac

PS: Earlier this week I had posted an article formally proposing the creation
	of a group named COMP.SYS.MAC2 and requested your votes mailed to
	me.  I missed crossposting that call for a vote to comp.sys.mac
	which is the reason why I am cross-posting this one.  I will force
	follow-ups to go to news.groups, exclusively.

	The text of my original posting to news.groups follow below:

I propose the immediate creation of "comp.sys.mac2" as a first, obvious step
towards relief (for articles of interests to Mac-][ owners, exclusively).
owners of Mac-][s will, probably, continue reading the comp.sys.mac group
unless, of course, they only use A/UX and not the Mac-OS.

Several articles listed arguements for and against such a split during the
last 3 months and I do not believe that much new can be added (but don't let
me stop you) ... so I volunteer to receive and count votes (address below)

Please, do NOT POST your votes - send them by Email.  Consult your local
Email-guru, if you have problems getting mail to me.

I would also like to encourage someone else to propose some other new sub-group
and to collect votes - I do not think that such a group would be an alternative
to a group for Mac-][s ...

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  or  werner%rascal@im4u.utexas.edu   (prefered)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu   or  werner@astro.as.utexas.edu

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/26/88)

In article <2465@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>1) do we need to split off a group dedicated to the Mac2 from comp.sys.mac?
>	yes, because the machine is significantly different from the Mac and
>	the number of articles addressing topics of exclusive interest to
>	Mac2-users has reached a very high level.

The Mac II is not significantly different from the Mac Plus in that it runs
all the same software that the Plus and SE runs.  This assumes you are
running the Mac OS and not A/UX.  The only differences are the color
quickdraw and the obvious hardware differences.  Of course, there is
lots of interest in Mac Plus/SE specific hardware as well, so the
above arguments apply for forming a comp.sys.mac.classic group as well.
Which would leave comp.sys.mac for the common traffic that applies to both
machines.

>4) what's wrong with a group named COMP.UNIX.AUX?
>	the way I understand it, the group-naming hierarchy represents a
>	a logical way of subdividing topics of common interest. Now, it is
>	my perception that A/UX is mostly of interest to MAC2 users and
>	should therefore be discussed in a group created for the MAC2 or
>	a sub-group thereof;  On the other hand, it is likely that there
>	is not very much interest in A/UX by the traditional reader of
>	UNIX-groups, unless s/he is a (prospective) MAC2-user, of course.

I don't agree with the above at all.  As a Mac II owner, I have no interest
in A/UX.  I also think there are alot of other Mac II owner's that bought
their Mac II as a fast Macintosh with color, not as a platform to run A/UX.
As Macintosh owners, we are all interested in Mac software and issues.  People
who buy A/UX are interest in UNIX (TM) primarily and not so much in the
hardware base it runs on.  Hence the issues that concern them are UNIX issues.
The only common interest the Mac II owners have with those running UNIX is
the hardware it runs on and that is a relativly small percentage of the
messages on the Mac II.

So in summery, vote yes for comp.unix.aux and no for comp.sys.mac2.

Note that I overrode your followup to post my counter-arguments.  Followups
also to news.groups.

>--
>werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  or  werner%rascal@im4u.utexas.edu   (prefered)

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant