[news.groups] Newsgroup request: sci.ocean

scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen) (02/21/88)

I propose a new newsgroup on the oceans: sci.ocean.

The group would encompass the following:
     Ocean science (marine biology, geophysics)
     Ocean resources, both living and non-living
     Ocean resources management
     Ocean environment
     Ocean technology and engineering, and its impact upon
developing ocean law and policy
     The law of the sea
     Ocean policy issues, such as freedom of navigation,
boundaries, fisheries management and conservation, etc.
     Naval policy
     Shipping

We currently have no newsgroup devoted to any aspect of the seas,
which cover more than 70% of the globe. It seems likely to me
that there are many people who are interested in one or more of
the disciplines involved.

May I ask for indications of support? If you will send them to me
I will be glad to enumerate them and make a report after 30 days.

--
Scott Allen             {ihnp4|dual|vortex}!islenet!scott
Honolulu, Hawaii	808-941-8500 808-947-3657 808-948-6750

cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (David Cogen) (02/23/88)

In article <3879@islenet.UUCP> scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen) writes:

>   I propose a new newsgroup on the oceans: sci.ocean.
>   We currently have no newsgroup devoted to any aspect of the seas,
>   which cover more than 70% of the globe.

I would also like to propose a new newsgroup: sci.vacuum. We currently have no
newsgroup devoted to any aspect of vacuum, which fills more than 99.999999999%
of the universe.

:-)

ps. I vote NO (on both groups)
--
|-|-----|-|-----|-|
| |David S Cogen| |

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (02/23/88)

David Cogen (cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU) makes an excellent point with his
tongue-in-cheek suggestion for the creation of sci.vacuum.  I'd like
to also point out that newsgroups aren't supposed to be created because
they don't exist, but rather because there is some *existing discussion*
that should go into them.  In this case, if there were a huge interest
in the oceans on the net, I'd expect to find at least one or two articles
on the proposed subjects in sci.misc.  Since I don't, I believe it's
fairly obvious that the interest just does not exist and creation of a
new newsgroup is not warranted.  I urge a NO vote.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/25/88)

In article <915@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (David Cogen) writes:
> In article <3879@islenet.UUCP> scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen) writes:
> I would also like to propose a new newsgroup: sci.vacuum. We currently have no
> newsgroup devoted to any aspect of vacuum, which fills more than 99.999999999%

Is'nt that somewhere near talk.bizarre, rec.humor, and rec.music.metal?

;-);-);-)

ccs023@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Robert Giedt) (02/25/88)

In article <1133@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>In article <915@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (David Cogen) writes:
>> In article <3879@islenet.UUCP> scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen) writes:
>> I would also like to propose a new newsgroup sci.vacuum. We currently have no
>> newsgroup devoted to any aspect of vacuum, which fills more than 99.99999999%
>
>Is'nt that somewhere near talk.bizarre, rec.humor, and rec.music.metal?

Actually the only vacuum in .metal is somewhere between my ears... :-)

--
     OOOOOOO    Robert Giedt
   OO   O   OO    ccs023@deneb.ucdavis.edu.uucp

terry@lamc.UUCP (Terry Stinnett) (02/27/88)

Scott,
We, my SO and I would be interested in the newsgroup
for Sci.ocean.  He is an amateur marine aquaculturist and eats
this stuff up.

--
        Terry Stinnett - Letterman Army Medical Center - San Francisco, CA
                {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!lamc!terry

scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen) (02/29/88)

In article <130@falkor.UUCP>, heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> David Cogen (cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU) makes an excellent point with his
> tongue-in-cheek suggestion for the creation of sci.vacuum.

	Actually, it was somewhat vacuous. The ocean is not a vacuum --
but discussion of it is unfocussed on this network. We need a single
place to post.

> I'd like
> to also point out that newsgroups aren't supposed to be created because
> they don't exist, but rather because there is some *existing discussion*
> that should go into them.

	An excellent point. There is mail.ocean.policy, of course. In other
words, there is interest.

	We'll just have to see after 30 days how much interest there is.
Keep them cards and letters comin' in, folks, and I'll post the results
when our period of voting is completed. Perhaps, indeed, there is not
enough interest, but let's give it a fair try.