[news.groups] comp.graphics.newuser

cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (04/02/88)

A couple of days ago I half-proposed the idea of a subgroup for comp.graphics
called comp.graphics.newuser. I am now seeking debate on how it would work.
This is NOT a solicitation for votes under the Usenet rules, since we MUST
know what is going on before voting occurs.

The Intent:

The purpose of the newsgroup is to deflect neophyte questions from the
Terribly Serious Business that goes on in comp.graphics. In particular, the
idea is that this new group would be a repository of information and
techniques that are germane to computer graphics, but at the same time
very basic in nature.

It is not the intention that this group stifle discussions of graphics
algorithms in general, since that is the meat of what goes on in
comp.graphics. The intention IS to stop the endless repetition of questions
like "how do I draw a line quickly?", "What's a raster?", "Why Red Green Blue,
not Red Yellow Blue?".. and so on.

The problem is that many neophyte readers find asking the net much easier than
reading the appropriate reference. Sometimes this is because the neophyte is
lazy, other times because he is otherwise unable to get the answers out of
a book, or is unaware of the literature.

The Mechanics:

Now that we have the idea, how do we do it? I propose the creation of a
moderated newsgroup. Moderated because the moderator can be the storehouse
of information. Newsgroup because a mailing list defeats the main purpose of
this proposed newsgroup.

The moderator should perhaps be a SIGGRAPH person, since s/he
would know or be able to find the answers to the semi-obscure questions.
The moderator would collect the answers to the various questions, and would
compile a standard reply to each of the "classics" that come up all the time.
When a classic question coes around, the classic reply would be posted/
mailed. Each classic reply should contain specific references to texts,
including page numbers, and so on.

Obviously, the moderator must commit time to reading the mail that comes in,
and to posting both the question and the answer. Another idea is that this
group could be semi-moderated: Anyone can post, but the "moderator" has the
list of standard answers. This reduces the workload to just reply-generation.

Caveat:

I can't moderate for two reasons:
1) I don't feel technically competent enough.
2) I'm not likely to be at this site long enough.

I'v had a couple of positive responses to a vaguer version of this proposal.
What do you guys/gals think?
--
Chris Shaw    cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (via watmath, ihnp4 or ubc-vision)
University of Alberta

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/05/88)

I think that a better way to solve the problem is for someone in the
newsgroup to compile a list of the Commonly Asked Questions and to
post it every month.  It's real easy to set up an automated posting,
simply something like:

	for i in monthly/posting.*; do
		inews -h <$i
	done

with a directory "monthly" and files named "posting.*" contain news
articles.

I have been considering doing exactly this for comp.mail.misc.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/05/88)

In article <8789@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- A vertebrae) writes:
>I think that a better way to solve the problem is for someone in the
>newsgroup to compile a list of the Commonly Asked Questions and to
>post it every month.  It's real easy to set up an automated posting,

I like this idea; minimum fuss, no discrimination, gets the questions
answered regularly.

There's already a (distributed) body of text we could use; for instance,
I just wrote an explanation of spatial lowpass filtering in response
to a question about smoothing enlarged bitmap fonts in the amiga newsgroup.
Other previously posted articles could be used for other commonly asked
questions, with revisions as suggested by readers. Who's got copies of
such things saved? (I'm sure I'm not the only packrat on the net!)

If we find a volunteer to do the monthly posting, the rest follows from
there. We could always go to a "comp.graphics.tutorials" later if
desired.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (04/05/88)

Good idea -- but let's call it "comp.graphics.questions".

<Uh oh!  Someone will think of "comp.graphics.wizards".> [Shhh!] :-)

--
Chip Salzenberg                 "chip@ateng.UU.NET" or "codas!ateng!chip"
A T Engineering                 My employer's opinions are a trade secret.

news@entire.UUCP (Usenet News Administrator) (04/05/88)

In article <1182@pembina.UUCP>, cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (Chris Shaw) writes:
> A couple of days ago I half-proposed the idea of a subgroup for comp.graphics
> called comp.graphics.newuser. I am now seeking debate on how it would work.

In newusers there is a posting that goes out on the net.  This posting contains
answers to the "most asked questions" on the net.  I recommend that you or
the group readers at large collect the "classic" questions and the answers with
good references, and on a monthly basis, or as often as necessary, repost the
article in comp.graphics or mail it to the neophyte.

Another possibilty is to use a "longer" than normal expire header on the
posting, say one month, and then repost the newer one with an Superceeds
header.  This way when ever a neophyte selects this group this "classics"
posting would always be there to read.

> The purpose of the newsgroup is to deflect neophyte questions from the
> Terribly Serious Business that goes on in comp.graphics. In particular, the

An important part of any "Terribly Serious Business" is the teaching or helping
of a neophyte, no question is stupid it is simply mis-guided.  Remember we were
all a neophyte at one time :-), it helps to make it a pleasent transition.

> It is not the intention that this group stifle discussions of graphics
> algorithms in general, since that is the meat of what goes on in
> comp.graphics. The intention IS to stop the endless repetition of questions

My above "soapbox" speach was not a flame.  I agree with you in "It is not the
intention that this group stifle....", it's just important to direct "endless"
questions, and I think that this can be done within the scope of the existing
newsgroup.
--
John A. Gallant                 UUCP:  {..}!rochester!rocksanne!entire!news
Defacto Usenet News Administrator

    Get your facts first,
	and then you can distort them as much as you please.
    Mark Twain

In article <215@ateng.UUCP> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Good idea -- but let's call it "comp.graphics.questions".

no

it's not for all questions, just the repetative ones new users (justly)
ask.

over and over and over

now if you called it comp.graphics.questions.that.get.asked.a.lot
you'd have a point.

--
                    Remember me. Row my boat.
   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard