[news.groups] Do we need c.s.i.p.tech?

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (05/17/88)

[ I removed comp.sys.misc and added news.groups to this discussion ]

In article <225@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>In article <5624@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
>>In article <217@octopus.UUCP>, I write:
>>The unix newsgroups are subdivided.  One for wizards and one for neophytes.
>>If the subject is somewhere in between levels of difficulty then the poster
>>has a decision to make where to post.  Perhaps this group should be divided
>>into comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.sys.ibm.pc.tech.  Any agreement?  Any dissent?
>
>Early returns on my call for votes indicates that everybody likes heavy-duty
>technical content. Fodder for thought.

   I like the idea of a technical group. I suggested it a few weeks ago. There
is just too much B.S. in this group as it is now. Who CARES whether Apple is
suing IBM? Move it to misc.legal! That type of discussion has no benefit for
those of us who are trying to build or refine expertise in using/programming
this type of machine.
   I don't really like to see postings asking what product someone recommends,
or so forth, but I can't complain, since there isn't really a better place
for that kind of discussion. I just have to n or k through that. A new group
to split the discussion into technical and nontechnical discussion is just
what we need. I would only subscribe to the technical group.
   I think the WAY it is split is also important. I would rather have
comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.sys.ibm.pc.tech than comp.sys.ibm.pc (technical)
and comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (nontechnical). The reason is that many people are
either too lazy, or too much of a novice, or too SOMETHING (stupid?) to use
the groups properly. The abovementioned people will post to comp.sys.ibm.pc
no matter what. If we have the .tech group this shouldn't really be much of a
problem. Then massive flames to anyone who cross-posts.

Steve Creps, Indiana University, Bloomington, home of the "Hoosiers"
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!creps
	creps@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)
"To dream... the unlintable dream..."